Cabbage Roll?

Ivan Stratton

TVWBB Fan
Does anybody have a cabbage roll recipe? Im thinking of taking my stuffed pepper recipe and using the filling from that in the cabbage.

Ivan, all you have to do is peel the very dark green leaves of the cabbage off and cut off the bottom end like you would an onion. Then carefully peel the big outer light/white green ones off. You need to par boil them (in salted water) for a few min so you can roll them without them breaking on you. After taking them out of the boiling water, drop them in some ice water to stop the cooking. Then just add your stuffed pepper filling, roll up and secure with thread or tooth picks. Bake or fry. Mom always used thread, PITA to me. She did that cause she fried them, and they were not served with tomato sauce or rice inside. Mom is German so she made them her way. I loved them, as I'm not a tomato sauce or a rice guy. HTH

Thanks Bryan. I think Im making them later If they turn out picture worthy I'll post. I will probably do some with and some without sauce.

An alternative to boiling cabbage leaves is to freeze them. That saves cleaning up a pot. That makes them very pliable for rolling. I also make "unrolled cabbage rolls" layering the cabbage, then meat mixture then a second layer of cabbage. I then cover this with the following sauce:

19 oz. can of tomatoe sauce
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar.

This sauce has a nice sweet/sour taste.

Back