Tailgating ideas with Q100

russell swift

TVWBB Super Fan
We typically cook burgers, brats, and dogs with our Q100's for football tailgates. I would like to try something new, but realize I don't have much surface area to get very creative. Any suggestions?

How about chicken wings; disjointed with tips discarded or kebobs of poultry, fish or meats? Done it all... even rotissed a whole hog on a larger grill.

joe

I would think that given the small cooking surface, something with a quick turn around time on the grill would be good - I like the idea of shrimp - they can be put in marinade or seasoned at home, kept on ice until you get to the tailgate, grill quickly and then can be put on shrimp po-boy sandwiches, or tossed in with a salad - both great tailgate foods. If there are any left, chop them up for a shrimp salad.

Hmmmmm, getting some ideas for dinner!

Pat

Russell,

I like to grill fajitas for tailgating. I usually do chicken, beef and shrimp. My guests get to assemble them to their own liking, and neighboring tailgaters say "Why didn't I think of that?"

Jim

Something completely different to try.
Have a look at Jamie Purviance's Yakiniku. It is in Weber Nation www.webernation.com
Grilling classes - video library about halfway down.
Instead of using a kettle do it on the Q120.

I have done this dish several times when demonstrating with the Q300. I used beef schnitzel which was about 1/8" thick and it took 15 seconds per side. You need to let the Qcome up to temp for about 12 minutes prior to cooking and only do small amounts at a time as the meat cools rapidly. You can have all the sauce, rice and pickles prepared beforehand. It sure would have all the people around you envious and is so quick and simple. I have also done it with thin slices of chicken breast.

Cheers

Thanks for idea and recipe Phil. I'm going to have to try Yakiniku, my kids love Japanese cooking and this sounds fantastic.

Jim

Originally posted by JRPfeff:
Thanks for idea and recipe Phil. I'm going to have to try Yakiniku, my kids love Japanese cooking and this sounds fantastic.

Jim

Jim, Naturally I played around with the sauce recipe a bit, the main change was I added minced Nori (Seaweed) to the sauce. I wanted something with more "Tang" to highlight and enhance the Meat taste.

Cheers

Phil,

I made Jamie's Yakiniku recipe for my family using beef tenderloin. They really loved it.

Thanks again for this idea.

Jim

I got my Q100 from Amazon last night, ... fits perfectly in one of the RVs storge lockers
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
MAN O MAN!! can that lil' rascal grill!! Just burgers, fries, grilled pineapple, & onions...buttered and grilled the buns too
icon_razz.gif
icon_razz.gif
....Grilled breakfast ribeyes this mornin'
icon_rolleyes.gif
Great sear marks & outstanding flavour
icon_razz.gif
icon_cool.gif

Congrats Ron on your new baby!

The other night, due to a rain, I fired up the Q for a Tri Tip.
Not as good as over coal with a wood chunk, but still tasted great!

Put a few chunks or a package of woodchips on top of the grate when heating the grill - I do it all the time on my Q300. Gives that small hint of smoke, we want
icon_smile.gif

Back