le creuset french oven question

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I'm considering getting a smallish oven (possibly the 22, as I have a 9 qt lodge) and was wondering where I might find a good deal.

It looks like the 22 is $185 everywhere except ebay. I saw some, NIB, for as low as $110, but one was listed as a factory second. seems like a difference of $75 might be worth the gamble.

I bought a Mario Batali brand off of Amazon some years ago...don't use it a lot but it seems well made...no problems and it was a LOT less expensive than le creuset.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Irish:
I bought a Mario Batali brand off of Amazon some years ago...don't use it a lot but it seems well made...no problems and it was a LOT less expensive than le creuset. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+ 1, I use my batali enameled oven all the time, it's great.

The seconds are a good deal. And they really have small imperfections that make them seconds. Like a dimple in the enamel or something like that. I believe you get the full warranty too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
It looks like the 22 is $185 everywhere except ebay. I saw some, NIB, for as low as $110, but one was listed as a factory second. seems like a difference of $75 might be worth the gamble. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I bought a Le Creuset factory second 7qt oval on Ebay for cheap several years ago. Never did find the blemish, Love that oval roaster. I'd have no problems buying another factory second. HTH

j - I tried to talk my wife into a Le Bentonville, but she wouldn't bite.

She ended up finding Le Creuset discounted at Tuesday Morning and bought a 7 quart dutch oven there. It may be a second, but it wasn't marked that way. She said to also look at TJMax & Marshalls, they sometimes have discounted Le Creuset, too.

jrp

I saw bed, bath and beyond listed them on their website.

I'm guessing a) they don't carry them at most stores and b) if they did, the coupon wont work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I bought a Le Creuset factory second 7qt oval on Ebay for cheap several years ago. Never did find the blemish </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

man, the ugly yellow, $110, one on ebay is gone. I was guessing most (NIB) there are seconds, its too bad they don't say it is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> She ended up finding Le Creuset discounted at Tuesday Morning and bought a 7 quart dutch oven there. It may be a second, but it wasn't marked that way. She said to also look at TJMax & Marshalls, they sometimes have discounted Le Creuset, too.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks for the solid tip, but I more of an internet shopper. I might have to shoot myself if I spent more than 15 minutes in those three stores.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:

I'm guessing a) they don't carry them at most stores and b) if they did, the coupon wont work .
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you are correct, if you read the fine print on the coupon Le Creuset is on the list of items that the coupon can't be used on.

I dragged my wife into Macy's today
icon_wink.gif
and spotted Martha Stewart's enameled cast iron dutch ovens on sale. The small one is 2-3/4 quarts (slightly smaller than the Le Creuset version) for $34.99.

You may be able to get it online.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff_B:

I'm guessing a) they don't carry them at most stores and b) if they did, the coupon wont work .
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you are correct, if you read the fine print on the coupon Le Creuset is on the list of items that the coupon can't be used on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what it says and what they'll do are two different things. I used one on a wusthof set this summer for a wedding present.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lexx Collier:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff_B:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you are correct, if you read the fine print on the coupon Le Creuset is on the list of items that the coupon can't be used on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what it says and what they'll do are two different things. I used one on a wusthof set this summer for a wedding present. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never had the 20% off coupon refused for anything...All-Clad, Henkels, etc. Over a dozen purchases of supposedly non-covered items.

the coupon did not list le creuset, probably for one important reason...THEY DONT CARRY LE CREUSET AT THEIR STORES...only online.

so after that disappointment I watched amazon. Today they had a 3.5 qt in the color I like for 147 + 16 shipping sold through cooking.com. so on a whim I went to cooking.com and it was 147 there, shipping was only 14, and they didn't get me for tax like amazon certainly would have.

moral of the story, be sure to check the sites of places that sell through amazon, you might be able to save on shipping AND tax.

the coupon did not list le creuset, probably for one important reason...THEY DONT CARRY LE CREUSET AT THEIR STORES...only online. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in Seattle they do carry it in their stores (as well as most other high end kitchen items) so it must be a regional thing

Back