Fresh frozen ham.

j.shan

TVWBB Member
I just picked up a fresh frozen ham (10 pounds) from my local butcher shop today. I was reading in some of the other ham posts about how to smoke it and a lot of folks said it needs to be brined before going into the smoker and other folks say it doesn't. This is my first ham and would like it to come out tasting and looking like a ham. I am open to any suggestions and or comments. TIA!

I need some clarification. Is this a fresh ham? If so, the "ham" refers to the cut--the back leg. And it is fresh, i.e. uncured. It's a giant pork roast. Therefore, without extraordinary measures, it won't come out "looking and tasting like a ham." OTOH, it will make a delicious roast. I would brine it, myself. Or if you're feeling slightly more ambitious (and have some time) google "corned ham" (I also posted a link in an earlier pork thread.)

Good luck and good eating--I love fresh ham!

(And sorry if I've misinterpreted your question and/or told you a bunch of stuff you already know!)

Chris I think you are right on about if you want the "Store Bought" type ham then curing is a must. HERE is a link that really provides alot of info on what you can do with fresh ham.

I agree .. If you want a fresh ham to taste like a ham you buy in a store, you will have to cure it. Kevin's link, posted above, is an excellent resource. In addition, here are 2 links to my ham this past Christmas. 1st is the question link, 2nd is the actual cook (smoke). HTH

Bill

Yes this is a fresh uncured ham. It came straight off a local farm and has not been processed or had any solution added to it. The only reason it was frozen is because my butcher is going on vacation for a week starting today and had started putting everything in his freezer a few days ago. Basically he's closing his shop down for a week. But anyways from all the responses it sounds like I'm going to be brining it before smoking! Thanks for all the tips! I'll post pics of how it came out in a few days if I remember!

Ok. So I have the ham brining inside of a large turkey roasting bag and the whole thing is inside of a 5 gallon bucket just in case there is a rip or leak so I don't have brine leaking all over the inside of my fridge. Now the other question I have is do I need to rotate or stir or otherwise agitate the ham while it is brining or can I just leave it sit without disturbing it till I'm ready to pull it out?

Just got back from a friends house after eating dinner with the ham I made. This was the first ever ham that I had ever made and it was a great success. People oohed and ahhed over the way it looked when I took the foil off the top and even better were the reactions I got when they had their first taste. I used the glaze that Larry Wolfe used in this thread.... http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...0069052&m=7050079225 . And since I had a bunch of leftover glaze I took it with me to use as sort of a dipping sauce if people wanted. We also discovered another use for the glaze, drizzle it over vanilla bean ice cream!!!!! That glaze on the ice cream was simply to die for!!! Anyways, as promised here are some pics....

http://s7.photobucket.com/albu...4d1.pbw&t=1249702807

j, splendid looking ham you made there. The ham looks freaking fantastic, picture perfect. Great job Man!
icon_cool.gif

Back