Overnight Cook - Controlling the Lows

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

I'm doing a brisket overnight this weekend. I'm using my cheapie remote therm to monitor temp but it only has a single temp alarm. Any ideas on the best way to monitor for lows (other than waking up and checking the remote)?

Also, does anyone know if there is a remote therm that offers both high and low alarms?

Thanks,

James

James, Just a proceedural note on the Maverik. Oh, I have it and it works great. Once you get your high and low alarms set you need to activate the alarms by pressing a button. The only reason I mention this is on my second smoke I assumed that the alarms were auto on but in fact they were not. You don't have to reset but you do have to arm them. It's easy, just gotta do it.

Good smoke this weekend!!!

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Harvey:
Does the ET-73 allow for monitoring 2 probes, 1 meat, 1 grate temp? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes. The meat probe has a target temp alarm and the smoker probe has a high AND low alarm, so you basically set a range for the smoker to stay in between.

It's a slick little tool. Some have had transmitter range issues, mine doesn't have a very large range but it's large enough...

Another neat little feature is that when I have a butt in a cooler, resting, I keep the meat probe in it and plug the probe into the "smoker" input. I then set the low alarm to 145 so I know when the butt is getting to the point where it needs to be pulled and either eaten or refrigerated so no nasties start to form.

Great gadget. Not needed to produce great BBQ but it does make it easier, IMO.

Back