Chai Tea

Trevor Wilson

TVWBB Member
Ok, so this is not a traditional Marsala chai, rather a mixture that I have been playing around with. I like it in the evenings or early mornings when tending the Q.
icon_smile.gif

1 Tablespoon black pepper corns
1 Tablespoon coriander seed
15 - 20 green cardamom pods
2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
3 cinnamon sticks
10 whole cloves
6 inches of fresh ginger sliced thin
1.5 inches fresh galangal sliced thin
zest of 2 oranges
1 vanilla pod split
14 cups water
6 Tablespoons Darjeeling tea (loose)
.75 cup honey

Crack the pepper and coriander seeds with a mortar and pestle. Lightly crack the cardamom.
toast all the dry herbs (pepper, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg just to warm them and get the smelly goodness going on. Add galangal, ginger, zest, vanilla, and water and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat and bring to a very soft simmer for 45 minutes. Raise heat to bring it back to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and add the tea. Let the tea steep for 4 minutes. Strain into another container. Add in the honey. You're done!

I generally put them into quart jars and put them into the fridge after they cool to room temperature.

When you are ready to drink some, simply heat it up to a simmer and pour in a mug. Add a little milk (but not too much if you want it spicy). I like just enough to lighten the color.

If you really like a spicy chai, try adding a very small amount of cayenne pepper when reheating. Not for everyone and not for every time, but YUM!

I have been adding a couple of star anise lately. I think it helps round out the flavor profile. It's bloody become an addiction...

Back