Deep fryer recommendations.

chris comer

TVWBB Super Fan
Any recommendations on a good deep fryer for the kitchen, something with good capacity that won't break the bank. Sometimes you just have to have home fries and or fried wings.
Thanks....Chris

^I HAVE ALWAYS USED MY TURKEY FRYER BURNER WITH A FRYER POT.
BUT IT WOULD BE NICE TO ENJOY A SOME DEEP FRIED GOODNESS DURING INCLEMENT WEATHER. ONE QUESTION...HOW MESSY ARE THEY? OK,OK, MY WIFE MADE ME ASK THAT ONE, BUT SHE IS THE ONE HAS TO CLEAN UP IF ITS IN HER KITCHEN,(MY KITCHEN IS OUTSIDE AND I HANDLE THAT) SHE DOES NOT WANT TO HAVE TO CLEAN A GREASE BOMB.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck Piercy:
HOW MESSY ARE THEY? OK,OK, MY WIFE MADE ME ASK THAT ONE, BUT SHE IS THE ONE HAS TO CLEAN UP IF ITS IN HER KITCHEN,(MY KITCHEN IS OUTSIDE AND I HANDLE THAT) SHE DOES NOT WANT TO HAVE TO CLEAN A GREASE BOMB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Chuck, not bad at all. With the Euro Pro, it has a vented lid so you can put that on at the same time you drop the basket with frozen or wet food down. Don't leave it on too long (less than a min 30-45 seconds) as condensation builds up on the underside of the lid pretty quick, and you'll get more of a mess that way once you take the lid off. I usually don't bother with the lid and only get a few splatters on the counter. HTH

I have a Cecilware EL250 I am very happy with. 240V 5500 watts. Heats quickly, recovers quickly, very temp stable. None of the small home use fryers are good for anything more than a handful of fries. Not enough fat, not enough heat capacity, temp drops when food is added, food then becomes greasy. If you don't want to spend the money on a small countertop commercial model just use a dutch oven or the like on a robust cooktop.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Jensen:
None of the small home use fryers are good for anything more than a handful of fries. Not enough fat, not enough heat capacity, temp drops when food is added, food then becomes greasy. If you don't want to spend the money on a small countertop commercial model just use a dutch oven or the like on a robust cooktop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You just have to adapt/adjust is all and learn your fryer. It's just like deep frying a Turkey. You heat the oil up about 15-20 degrees (25-30 for deep frying a turkey) hotter than what you want to cook at, so when the cold turkey, or the frozen food goes in, the temp doesn't drop too low and you get greasy food.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Jensen:
None of the small home use fryers are good for anything more than a handful of fries. Not enough fat, not enough heat capacity, temp drops when food is added, food then becomes greasy. If you don't want to spend the money on a small countertop commercial model just use a dutch oven or the like on a robust cooktop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You just have to adapt/adjust is all and learn your fryer. It's just like deep frying a Turkey. You heat the oil up about 15-20 degrees (25-30 for deep frying a turkey) hotter than what you want to cook at, so when the cold turkey, or the frozen food goes in, the temp doesn't drop too low and you get greasy food.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, point taken, however I did try several small fryers, including the small Waring Commercial 220v model and got frustrated with all of them... None of them would recover fast enough or had enough capacity to cook fries or wings for more than 2 or 3 people. Then I got the Cecilware. I set the dial to whatever temp I want and by gosh that is what temp the fat is at. I drop the food in and the temp stays. The only downside is the price and needing 15 pounds of fat, but with good temp control I get very good life out of my oil. I tend to be a bit of a tool freak anyway
icon_cool.gif
so take what I say from that perspective, but I can say the heavy duty commercial Cecilware fryers are a very robust piece of kit.

I have been thinking about a electric turkey fryer, for indoor use for wings & fries. there are a couple of models out there, I think they are 28 QT capacity. I have a outdoor fryer given to me by a friend but have yet to buy a propane tank. Has anyone used the electric turkey fryer and what do you think about them?

Back