Costco spare ribs?

Ken Grove

TVWBB Member
Tried spare ribs from Costco this weekend. Watched the videos, read the articles, but I'll be ****ed if I could find the membrane on those spare ribs. Anyone have experience with spare ribs from Costco recently - the cryopack version? One article I read indicated they might take the membrane off already, but the post was old and may have been referring to baby backs. I had to trim the tips and skirt off, so I kind of doubt they could take off the membrane and leave that stuff on... Maybe I'm just a dunce at identifying and removing the membrane.

If the bone side looks like it has a piece of wax paper on it, that's the membrane you want to remove. If it looks like you can see through it, that's the thinner inner membrane that holds the ribs together so leave that alone.

Spares or Back Ribs?

I just bought a case of Back Ribs from Costco and, no, there is no membrane on them. It has already been removed, which is very uncommon.

I've now done my second package of them with no membrane.

Ken: Got a cyropak of spares from Costco this last weekend and the membrane was there on both spares. Did two cyros of spares from Costco about 1 month ago, and 3 of the 4 racks had the membrane removed. Go figure, sometimes it there, sometimes not. Whether they do it, or my self, as long as it's gone, it's all good.

Ken,

I cooked six racks of spares from Costco this weekend, and they all had membranes. I've been sourcing my spares at Costco for many years, and I don't think I've ever found a slab that didn't have a membrane.

R

Kind of hit and miss? I bought two cryo paks of back loin ribs last week to cook for Mother's Day. Each pak had three sets of ribs in it. One pak of three had no membrane while the other pak of three had membranes to be removed. Paks looked identical, even the sell by date was same.

Back