so unimpressed by thermapen build quality

Pinny

TVWBB Super Fan
I can't believe a $100 thermometer comes in a .50 cent casing. A high end kitchen thermometer that's totally not waterproof? If you open up the case (which I had to do after a light rain), you'll see that the wire which attaches the probe to the main unit is thin as a hair. And then if you want to send it back to get repaired, 40 bucks. I like the big display and the quickish speed, but I would never buy one again. There are other thermometers out there that are almost as quick, built better, and cheaper.

Originally posted by Pinny B.:
I can't believe a $100 thermometer comes in a .50 cent casing. A high end kitchen thermometer that's totally not waterproof? If you open up the case (which I had to do after a light rain), you'll see that the wire which attaches the probe to the main unit is thin as a hair. And then if you want to send it back to get repaired, 40 bucks. I like the big display and the quickish speed, but I would never buy one again. There are other thermometers out there that are almost as quick, built better, and cheaper.

Can you give me some of your recommendations? Thank you!

The newest Thermapen is "splash proof" with a "water resistant" design. I think you're asking a lot to expect them to build an electronic device with a moving probe and battery compartment that's "waterproof". Very few things are "waterproof", and I doubt you'll find any affordable electronic thermometer anywhere that's totally "waterproof".

I don't know of many electronic devices you can leave out in a light rain and expect to work afterwards.

As for the thickness of the wire connecting the probe to the electronics, who cares as long as it works and is durable?

Regards,
Chris

I have never once had a piece of electronics fail after a light rain. I've left out a variety of cheap digital thermometers and grill lights. The worst that happened was to a $10 Polder thermometer, where the screen went blank after a heavy snow. Even then, it dried out for a day and worked fine again.

Undeniably, it comes in possibly the cheapest casing I have ever seen. How about spending $2 on the casing and going with something a bit more watertight like most electronic grilling accessories have?

Also, the wire is not too durable. Thermoworks twice recommended to me to open the thermometer up and only by being very careful did I avoid pulling it out of the solder.

It is good to hear that they're implementing some sort of water guard.

As for another really good thermometer:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi...N/B00064BCPM/tvwb-20
^^^Recommended by Cook's Illustrated and only $13.39 (make sure to use a TVWB link)

I'm not saying don't buy a Thermapen, rather, giving a heads up that you can't treat it the way you would expect a $90 thermometer could be treated. If you can get a $20 waterproof Taylor digital thermometer, I would have expected that any $90 one would also be waterproof.

I don't know. I admit it doesn't rain much where I live, but I would never EVER leave ANYTHING electronic outside where it might get rained on. I'd have it under a patio umbrella or sealed inside a ziploc bag or something similar. To think you can leave something electronic outside in any sort of rain and expect it to keep working is asking too much, IMHO, unless of course it is specifically designed for such applications.

Regards,
Chris

but I would never EVER leave ANYTHING electronic outside where it might get rained on.

Chris, you must not partake of as many adult beverages as I do when I smoke. Can't tell you how many times I've left my ET-73 outside. Thank goodness it doesn't rain much here too.

It is meant for kitchens, commercial and home... I live in an extremely rainy climate and the only gear I would leave outside is boat/marine electronics
icon_smile.gif

Sorry about your money out of pocket. The cheap dishwasher proof one looks like something you can not worry about.

Originally posted by LarryR:
Can't tell you how many times I've left my ET-73 outside.
Placing the Polder base unit or the ET-73 remote transmitter inside a Ziploc bag does the trick if rain is a possibility.

Regards,
Chris

Many, including myself, have accidentally left their Thermapen out and had it rained on. Thermaworks told me that chances were that mine was ruined, but after removing the battery and letting it dry out, mine works fine and has been very reliable for years. It was my fault that it got wet anyway--not theirs. Money well spent, IMHO.

Unlike Maverick with their ET-73, I doubt that Thermaworks had BBQ fiends in mind when they initially offered their product. I think that it was designed more for use by health inspectors to be used INSIDE restaurants, etc.

On the other hand, my cell phone is even advertised to be waterproof to 3 feet deep, but I am still not gonna pitch it in the lake to test it.

If you take a look at the new Thermapen press release I posted recently, it's clear that they recognized that water infiltration was a problem even in a kitchen setting, much less in the backyard getting rained on. Being "splashproof" was #1 on the product FAQ:

1. The new Thermapen is splash-proof. Molded-in seals will resist moisture from wet hands and messy commercial kitchen use. Although not intended for complete immersion, the new Thermapen should survive a temporary dunk. The rotating probe hub has a better seal. When new, it will seem a little stiff but this is part of the improved water resistance in the rotating parts.

Regards,
Chris

my thermapen ranks 2nd best of things i have bought for BBQing/grilling. right behind my WSM. if i broke mine, i'd buy another one in a minute.

I take real good care of my T-Pen. So far I have not seen a better thermo on the market. Now the other 20 or so thermometers i have wasted $ on is a different story.

My t-pen was in my pocket when I pushed or fell (cant remember
icon_rolleyes.gif
) in a pool. I let it dry out in the sun and two years later it still works great

I've been using the mtc mini with the mini needle probe and absolutely love it. I never used a thermapen, but I can't imagine that it works any differently than this, without the ability to leave it in while your meat is still cooking.

Chris,

All the improvements listed in that press release look really excellent. I think I will actually buy the new one when I can afford it.

Also, to be fair, my Thermapen didn't actually die in the rain. It wouldn't turn on for about a week, and then it started working, but the reading was way off and weird symbols displayed on the screen. A few weeks later, per Thermoworks' instruction, I opened it up and tooth brushed everything in rubbing alcohol. That didn't help immediately, but about two weeks after that, it actually seems to be working perfectly again.

Pinny,

I am in your camp here. For the money it should be a little more water resistant then it is. I sent my first one back because it malfunctioned. They claimed the electronics had gotten wet. The only liquid it came in contact with was from washing the probe, and I was careful at that. If this was the cause, wow, not the best design for food use and sanitation. Too boot, they were not very accommodating. Hopefully they are addressing these issues.

Gary

I have left my ET 73 in a rain storm not rain. I have always placed it in a zip lock bag except this one time. It came through without any damage thank goodness.

When I purchased my themapen I was very supriesed how big it was. Don't know what I was thinking the size would be but not that big.

I got mine through the special posted on the board, and couldn't be happier with it. It survived a dunk in the kitchen sink and came back in a couple hours.

I guess it is a matter of taste.

I bought a cheap thermal pen at lowes (the weekend warrior). Its been working fine for the 3 months I've owned it. It cost $15. And it is accurate within 3 degrees. It comes with a cover for the probe, a lanyard and has a pocket clip.

I got mine for the special price as well. I had it a few weeks and used it twice. When I was washing the metal tip, some water splashed on the glass/plastic screen and plastic housing. I removed the battery and let it dry several days. The unit had stopped working and had to be returned for a 20 dollar repair. Had I known they were coming out with a more water resistant model I would not have gotten the one I had. They wouldn't give me any trade in value on the price of the water resistant model either, (not that I expected them to.) I do think a but of silicon would have gone a long way in making this item a whole lot better. Maybe I'll open it up and throw some silicon sealant around the edges.

Back