Proud owner of Q300 with couple questions

Cain Tran

I am feeling like a luckiest man in California. Recently I saw an ad on Craigslist in Los Angeles, CA for a Q300. The ad just basically says "weber with 2 burners". It was advertised for $105 and stated it has problem with ignitor. It was posted for 1 week and no one was interested. I took a look at the picture the seller posted and it looked like a Q300. Went there and it looked a little greasy and the ignitor didn't work. The seller stated when he took it out the box, it never worked and never bothered to bring it back to Home Depot (where he got it from) and have been using a lighter to light it. Anyway, he didn't even know what the model was. Being a member of The Virtual Weber Bullet and an owner of a Q200, I know right away it's a Q300.

Got him reduced the price to $100 even and he threw in a full tank of propane with a quarter full tank. I brought it home. Used oven off and degreased it. Took off the ignitor and tweaked it a little and everything working as new.

I have to say, I'm really impressed with this Q300 and will sell off my Q200. I have not cooked on it yet but I can feel there is a lot more heat from the Q300 than the Q200. I love my Q200 and took it to camping a few times but a bit disappointed that it took quite a long time to cook my quartered chicken.

I also have a Weber Genesis C and thus my dilemma. You experts think the Q300 is good enough for me to keep and sell off my Genesis? I also love my Genesis and have no complaint about it. It's just if I can keep just one, it's more space in the patio. My family consists of my wife and I along with 4 kids ages from 7 to 2. We usually have bbq once or twice a month.

My second question is that the Q320 has electronic ignitor. I have fixed the ignitor on my Q300 but if I ever need to replace my ignitor, would the electronic ignitor from Q320 fit on the Q300. From the pictures, it appears to fit but just want to make sure.

Thanks

Nice score!

I don't have a Q300 or the Genesis, so I can't shed much light on the comparison there...but I think that I would miss the portability of the Q200 when camping.

The space solution is simple--build a bigger patio!

Kevin H.

Hi Cain, I have a Q300 for the past 12 months, they are a sensational bbq. So good are they that I have not made a roast or cooked meat inside since owning this, except for fish I have done inside. I would have no reservations getting rid of the other one.

Cheers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Got him reduced the price to $100 even and he threw in a full tank of propane with a quarter full tank. I brought it home. Used oven off and degreased it. Took off the ignitor and tweaked it a little and everything working as new. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You robbed the poor man
icon_smile.gif
The Q300 is a very highly regarded grill by those in the know. I was deliberating over whether to buy a Genesis or a Q320 (just a Q300 with couple of extras). After doing a lot of reading on this forum I bought the Q, and have been very happy. I still mostly use my OTG though
icon_smile.gif

Why don't you use the Q for a while and see if you miss the Genesis?

-Mark.

I bought a 300 recently. I was looking for a grill that I could use regularly for 1 or 2 people with the occasional 8-10 person gathering.

The Q is still somewhat effecient for 1 or 2 people and has the capacity for more. I have been happy so far.

Thanks for the replies.

LOL, no, I didn't rob the man
icon_biggrin.gif
. He didn't know the model number but he knew he bought it over $300 just about a year ago. The reason he sold it cheap was because he was moving to an apartment that didn't allow bbq and also because the ignitor didn't work and he thought it was a big deal and was in a dirty condition.

I was willing to pay him the asking price of $105 but when I asked him what the lowest price he would let it go for, he said "$100". Then he added he would throw in an extra full tank of propane. I wasn't twisting his arms are anything like that
icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I cooked hamburgers and hot dogs for the family the other day and it cooked very nice had more heat than my Q200. I'm planning to bbq chicken this weekend to see how it goes. I usually sear the chicken and brown it a little and then finish cooking using indirect heat and it took the Q200 over an hour to fully cook quartered chicken when we went camping few months ago. My Genesis would cook it within 30 minutes or less.

Anyway, I don't see portability is the problem with Q300 to be honest. I noticed some people just take out the 4 screws that hold the bbq to the stand and use it as portable. I might just try doing it and place it on my glass top patio table and try bbq to see if there is any problem in terms of stability and such but I don't see why not.

If all that works out, this Q300 might be a replacement for my Genesis silver C and the Q200 since James had mentioned, the Q300 is big enough to be used for small gatherings.

Back