Don't you hate it when this happens

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I got held up at work today,so the missus put a beer can chicken on the Genesis(she don't play with charcoal). Everything was going fine until I went to check the bird. Chicken was at 160*,but the fire was out. No propane. Doh! Got it finishing in the oven. Oh well,it's gonna be yummy when it gets done.

At least the bird was close to being done Phil.
I'm sure it will be great!

My wife doesn't do charcoal or gas, and hardly ever cooks anymore!
But that's because I'm retired and she still works, and cleans the house, and does laundry etc.
I think it's a pretty good trade off
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
thats why ya gotta have two tanks. fill and rotate. happened to me loooooong ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1 on the two tank rotation. Plus, you have to find a filling station. Those swap a tank places are a rip off. They don't fill the tanks.

Sometimes, even the "filling station" will rip you off. I went to the local Amerigas depot a while back to top off a tank that was about 1/4 full.

The guy filled it up (?), then said "tell her 'one refill'." I asked him how many pounds he put in and he said "I don' t know - a fill up is all the same price." Needless to say, I won't be going back there again. My local U-Haul dealer fills tanks and you can see the scale of how much they put in - it sometimes just takes forever to get service.

As an aside, tank "refills" here are about $20 and if you buy the tank, its about $45. On the way home from an event in Mississippi Saturday night, we stopped in Livingston, AL for a refreshment and pit stop and the local c-store/gas station had refills marked at $40 - just the exchange! Rippin' off all the deer hunters, I suppose.

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
thats why ya gotta have two tanks. fill and rotate. happened to me loooooong ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have two tanks, but both of mine were empty. I finally exchanged the one tank. I have to remember to keep a full one in my garage at all times.

I personally keep three tanks around; mainly because one is hooked up to the Genesis, one is set aside for the beer brewing rig and then the third as a backup. I also found two OPV tanks someone was throwing out that I need to find a home for; even I think 5 tanks are too many.

My local Menards, a regional DIY store, has a 7x24 exchange setup that had decent prices the last time I checked; think it was around $20 to swap. I haven't checked out refill places since my last one went out of business so don't know if that's too high for the convenience factor.

I filled up the one that was about to expire and use it as a spare.I use the new one all the time and just keep filling it up.The expired one has saved me a few times.I am hopeing to score a 3rd one before the expired one runs out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Millsy:

I filled up the one that was about to expire and use it as a spare.I use the new one all the time and just keep filling it up.The expired one has saved me a few times.I am hopeing to score a 3rd one before the expired one runs out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I swapped my nearly expired on at the local Swap & Go (Exchange) and now get it refilled. We pay about $25 for a refill and about $32 for a Swap & Go A new 9 Kg (20 Lb) tank is about $45 (Empty).

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
What do you guys mean by an expired tank? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The tanks are only good for 10 years and then they need to be referbished.They will not refill them after the 10 years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Millsy:

I filled up the one that was about to expire and use it as a spare.I use the new one all the time and just keep filling it up.The expired one has saved me a few times.I am hopeing to score a 3rd one before the expired one runs out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just paid $21 to refill mine.I have never swapped before.

I swapped my nearly expired on at the local Swap & Go (Exchange) and now get it refilled. We pay about $25 for a refill and about $32 for a Swap & Go A new 9 Kg (20 Lb) tank is about $45 (Empty).

Cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Buddy of mine's dad owns a local propane business.
I get refills for $10 and always have a spare in the garage.
I rarely use the gasser though. We fry alot of fish and chicken outside though.

The tanks are only good for 10 years and then they need to be referbished.They will not refill them after the 10 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm not sure if propane tanks can be recertified like other tanks. If so, they can get a new lease on life but for a cost.

Personally, I think tank expiration is a good time to go the swap route. That way you get a new full tank for a little more than a refill but much less than a new empty, purge, and fill. Similar thing if anybody still has a non-OPV tank.

You know what? That incident was monday. It's now saturday night,and I still haven't filled my tank! I used the OTS tonight for a brined pork loin,along with some tomatoes and bread. Tomorrow,for the SB,I'm doing some spicy ranch boneless "wings". I guess I did make a new years resolution. To learn to use my OTS for more than the occassional steak!
icon_biggrin.gif
PS-tried RO lump for the first time. I like it!

Back