Non-Stick Spray on Cooking grates

DaveK

Hello from Arrington TN.
I just got my WSM cooker. WOW! It's a real heavy duty piece of cooking equipment.
I have a question- should I spray all cooking grates with non-stick spray before using them?

I'm excited & ready to start my first cook.
Thanks for any suggestions.
-Dave Krauss

Depending on on what I'm cooking I usually try to. With ground meats or ribs I've never really had a sticking problem. With bigger roasts like butts I do. Earlier this week I forgot to lube the grates before putting down pork butts. One came off in about 4 chunks, the others all lost smaller bits that were glued to the grates.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DaveK:
Hello from Arrington TN.
I just got my WSM cooker. WOW! It's a real heavy duty piece of cooking equipment.
I have a question- should I spray all cooking grates with non-stick spray before using them?

I'm excited & ready to start my first cook.
Thanks for any suggestions.
-Dave Krauss </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks John. I thought that I had seen a post by Chis A. that the cooking grates should be sprayed on all surfaces in the beginning.

Thanks for the help. -Dave

I have sprayed my cooking grates but it usually depends on what I am putting on the grate. For chicken I do cause the skin can stick and pull off. For beef and pork, usually not. I don't think that a good spay will hurt you or add badness of any kind. But then I'm probably not a purest. Oh, I usually use olive oil spray.

Mark

i wash everything and then after drying it i do an initial smoke just to get some smoke on the metal. after that i use pam spray on all cooks. as mentioned, its not perfect but its better than nothing. i have seen no differance using oil on a rag.

Thanks George,

That's exactly what I wanted to know.
I'm looking forward to many years of great cooking on my new WSM.
-Dave

Back