Pork chops

Jason H

I grilled up some pork chops last night using Larry's orange srirachia sauce and they had great taste, but the chops were not very tender. I can not seem to get consistent tender chops when grilling. Anyone have any tips to make sure tenderness?

I've been brining all of my pork chops in a salt/brown sugar (and other ingredients that I don't remember right off hand) brine. The recipe that I use is from Cook's Illustrated Grilling cookbook - very juicy and good. You could brine the chops in a simple brine, rinse, and then apply the siracha sauce prior to grilling.

I do mine exactly the way Pete described and they always come out juicy and tender. In fact I did some last night. Brined those rascals for about 90 minutes, rinsed and dried 'em, put black pepper on 'em, grilled 'em, and ate 'em.

Ron

I do mine exactly like Jim does and always have great results. Tender and juicy and full of flavor. Searing them first really works beat for me as I have tried both ways and searing first then going indirect works very well.

Plus, for grilling - I like to use really thick pork chops (Between 1 inch and 1-1/2 inches - thicker is better.) Get good, center-cut chops.

I think that the thicker chops are less prone to drying-out than thin ones.

I like to follow something close to Jim's technique. Sear, then cook indirect for a while, sauce or glaze in the last 5 minutes or so. I like to finish them with 50/50 mix of honey & hot mustard (Inglehoffer). They usually take me around 20 minutes.

I can tell when they're done in the middle but still juicy, but it takes a few practice-rounds to get it right.

as usual, i'm gettin'hungry talkin' an readin' bout these "1 inch and 1-1/2 inches - thicker is better" pork chops!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back