Grilled for the first time on WSM - Flank Steak

Todd W

Sorry but there are no pictures for this one.

I'm a newbie and have had my smoker for about a month. The weather has been cooperating, and I've been able to smoke each weekend (ribs, chicken, brisket) and tried grilling this last time. I have an 18.5 WSM and put the large grill straight on the coal ring (which was filled a bit over half).

I used the Paul Kirk "King Flank Steak" recipe which calls for a marinade of soy sauce, ginger, green onions, and other stuff - but pretty straight forward. The 2 flanks were monsters from Costco and they both barely fit on the grill (about 3/4 inch thick). About 6-8 minutes on each side is all it took. Awesome results. My kids and wife devoured all the leftovers by Tuesday.

I highly recommend the direct grill mod for something quick like flank steak. The only downside is the lid doesn't fit well on the bottom section and I feel like the thermometer might get damaged because it maxes out quickly.

-Todd

Hi Todd - Glad to hear your flank steak turned out so successful. It sure makes it seem so right when the family, as you said it, devours everything. I just don't do any grilling on my WSM because it's not too practical having to go so low to cook when I've got the Kettle and Performer for that. However; it just goes to show that the WSM is sure versatile. Bob B
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I grilled some hamburgers the same way as you and my thermometer stuck wide open. Has that happened to any one else?

I'll wait untill tomorrow and if it didnt come back to normal i'll call weber. Should I say I used the wsm as a grill?

Back