opinions on Wusthof Ikon series Knives

Chuck -

Not sure about the "Ikon" line - but it appears to be similar to the "Classic" line, with a more sleek / modern style.

We have an 9-piece "Classic" set, plus a set of (4) steak knives. We have been using them every day, since we received them as a wedding gift 14 years ago.

We keep ours in the knife block that came with the set. With minimal, proper maintenance, they are worth every penny of what they would cost. Good cutlery is a pleasure to use - you'll NEVER, EVER want to go back to using cheap, crappy knives, and will definitely find doing so extremely frustrating.

Our experience has been that they hold an edge extremely well. There is not a knife in the set that we do not use. I run the steel on the smooth-edge knives frequently, and have touched-up the edges on several of them with a fine diamond honing stone. They are probably due (over-due) for a professional sharpening. But I can still slice onions paper-thin.

If you are thinking of buying a set, I would whole-heartedly recommend them. The Classic is a little less costly. I love the style of the Ikon series, and would expect them to perform similar to our Classic set.

If you choose to "take the plunge" - do as others on this forum have recommended. Store them in a wooden knife-block or cutlery drawer insert, or one of the wood-clad magnetic knife bars to keep them handy. These methods of storage prevent the edges from getting "knicked-up" - which is what happens if you just toss them in a drawer.

Hi,

The Ikon knives use the same steel as the "Classic" line with Rockwell 58 hardness. The bolster is abbreviated to allow full length sharpening. The blade edges are ground thinner than the Classic edges, maybe 18 degrees vs. 24 degrees. The edge is also polished.

The Ikon is also fitted with ergonomic handles with really nice wood.

The Ikon was designed to compete with the Messermeister Elite knives, although the rocker is not quite as pronounced.

Tim

Tim, please educate me on what an a aspiring culinary student would require as far as a very high quality knife/knives.
Thank you!
-CP

Chuck,

All you will need is one decent Chef's knife, an inexpensive paring knife and a cheap bread knife.

You will also need a good fine grade steel and learn to use it.

Knowledge about knife maintenance is important. You should take the eGullet Course on Knife Maintenance and Sharpening.

As your skills grow, you will know when it is time to look for a better quality knife and make decisions based on your culinary skills and cutlery needs rather than that drool factor.

In the future, you may go to higher quality German knives, expensive Japanese knives or custom hand-made American knives.

Get the experience and skills first and proceed one knife at a time.

Tim

Thanks Tim. I worked in an out of restaurants in my formative years, and already own some cutco and henckel stuff. Culinary school is a bucket list item for me so I would like to get some new tools work with. PLease advise on your favorite makers of high quality knives.
(wusthof?,global,MAC,etc.)
Thanks for your knowledge.
-CP

Chuck,

I found it sort of "funny" that you would mention Cutco:

My parents have a set from about 1960. These have heavier, more curved handles than the more recent models (newer models have raised diamond-shaped protrusions around the rivets). They have had the heck used out of them, and about three years ago we sent them back to the factory for a sharpening - Boy, did they do a nice job! The serrated knives had the serrations re-ground and everything was like a razor. It was inexpensive too.

Although I still prefer my Wusthoff set, the good ol' Cutcos still work pretty nicely, and they have really stood the test of time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Granzeau:
Chuck,

All you will need is one decent Chef's knife, an inexpensive paring knife and a cheap bread knife.

You will also need a good fine grade steel and learn to use it.

Knowledge about knife maintenance is important. You should take the eGullet Course on Knife Maintenance and Sharpening.

As your skills grow, you will know when it is time to look for a better quality knife and make decisions based on your culinary skills and cutlery needs rather than that drool factor.

In the future, you may go to higher quality German knives, expensive Japanese knives or custom hand-made American knives.

Get the experience and skills first and proceed one knife at a time.

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Chard Ward's a good guy, with a lot of knowledge and passion for knives (also has a book "An Edge In the Kitchen"

He knows his stuff, and has a great post about debunking the myths of knifemaking (forged, full tang etc.)

http://forums.egullet.org/inde...edge-in-the-kitchen/

I know you asked about Wusthof, which I own several of, but not the Ikon series. I'm just throwing this out there for you to consider. If you have a Bed Bath and Beyond near you, check out the Calphalon Katana series. They are a Damascus blade with a great handle design. Here's a link for you to check them out. As with any knife, you should always handle them before buying to make sure the fit and feel is what you are looking for.
icon_wink.gif
Also another knife to consider is the Shun Classic, talk about a well made, comfortable knife to handle and use. I really like the the Shun Classic line. Just my $0.02

Back