smoke wood info

Miles Long

I have some oak trees in my backyard...Can I use this in my smoker? does it need to be aged or prepped? What would it be good with? Most of what I have read is apple and cherry, hickory and mesquite. I would feel silly buying oak and smoking under an oak tree
icon_smile.gif
Does the wood determine the smoke rings or is that time and amount of smoke?

Miles

Oak is fantastic to smoke with. You can smoke whatever you want with it. Should be dry though. Yes you need wood to make the cemical reaction for a smoke ring.

Oak is a very versatile wood. Goes especially well with beef, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it in appropriate amounts on pork or even poultry.

Miles,

If you're in NoVa. I can help you get rid of some of that oak.
icon_wink.gif
Oak is fantastic with beef.

Haha No problem- I have tons of wood!! I researched a little on prepping the wood and it said....It can t be red oak...I believe Virginia oak is white oak
icon_smile.gif
so im good there- but it should be dried for at least 6 months and 12 is better, but after two years throw it out? stringent- I wonder how old the wood is from ebay or amazon? who would know-either way I will make a big batch for next summer and see for my self-wish I had cherry trees
icon_smile.gif

At least some people smoke with red oak.

I would think as long as it's kept dry you can keep it for quite some time - anybody have a reason why not?

The white oak is preferable because it has a longer burn time and some say that the red oak can be musty or offtasting? I dont know yet first hand...hopefully someone can pipe in-youre right though- if you google it directly ...people "are" using red oak...So my staement of "Can't" is false-

Back