Margaritas

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Anyone have a good recipe for a basic margarita that doesn't involve commercially purchased mix? My wife gets headaches from high fructose corn syrup, and it's darn near impossible to find a mix that isn't made primarily from that. Thanks in advance!!

Jim

1 cup 100% agave Reposado Tequila (Your favorite...)
0.5 cup Cointreau liqueur
1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
2 heaping Tablespoons sugar

Mix together thoroughly. Serve with a salted rim either over ice or shaken with ice and strained. Drink. Repeat as necessary.

I don't recommend this for a blended marg as it will be too diluted by the ice.

For the Tequila, I'm fond of Suaza Hornitos. Its inexpensive and has a mild, smooth flavor for margs.

1 can Minute Maid frozen Limeade concentrate
1 can (empty minute maid can above) Water
2/3 can (same can) tequila
1/3 can (yep, same can) triple sec
tbsp Rose's lime

Toss the above in a blender with ice... amt of ice is up to you.

Blend and pour...

(I don't know if the Minute Maid stuff has High Fructose Corn Syrup or not)

If you want something that sounds weird but tastes great, I give you the Polish Margarita (I didn't name it!)

1 can frozen limeade
1 empty limeade can of tequila, preferably 100% blue agave (No Cuervo Gold!!!)
1 empty limeade can of 7-Up or Sprite
1 beer (yes beer!!)

Pour this over ice with a squeeze of lime. It tastes so much better than it sounds.

Enjoy,

Bob

There are two ways to go, IMCO.

You have your straight up margaritas, which are supposed to be VERY dry and you have your frozen margaritas that are on the sweeter side.

A) For the straight up margaritas:

1½ oz tequila (100% agave, white or "silver" and I like Cazadores best...the reverse sticker shock is also very, very pleasant.)

1½ oz lime juice, about one fat lime's worth, or two little ones. There's really no getting away from the fact that unless you are using freshly squeezed lime juice you're going to miss out. You'll also need the spent lime shells

1oz triple sec (I reallllllly suggest Patrón Citronge; again, more reverse sticker shock is nice)

Add all these, and the spent lime shells -- they'll give off a bit of their nice oils -- to a shakerful of crushed ice. Shake until the vessel frosts over. Strain and serve in a salt-rimmed margarita glass, or over ice in a salt-rimmed old-fashioned glass. Repeat as needed.

B) For the frozen margaritas:

1½ oz tequila (while 100% agave is best, in a frozen configuration you can get away with plain ol' Cuervo or Sauza, but don't get any cheapo store brands distilled in New Jersey)

1½ oz fresh lime juice, about one fat lime's worth, or two little ones.

1 oz triple sec (Notice this has more triple sec, in a frozen drink, you need the extra quantity to give you the flavor boost to compensate for the palate-dulling coldness. If you have it around, you could use Cointreau; I wouldn't go with Grand Marnier, I don't like the way its cognac base squares off with tequila.)

½ to 1 oz of sugar, depending how sweet you like it. Really frou-frou recipes will suggest you use agave nectar. Meh. You COULD make a 2:1 simple sugar syrup* if you wanted to speed things up, though.

Put all the liquids and sugar in the blender and get the blender going to dissolve the sugar. (This is key) Add about 6 oz crushed or shaved ice and blend JUST until it's, um, blended.

If your fridge doesn't dispense crushed ice, you can get a vintage ice crusher attachment for the Oster blender (my choice for all one's blending needs) on eBay for maaaaaaaaaaaybe $8 or you could use that Snoopy Sno-Cone maker gathering dust in the attic.

Serve in a margarita glass and repeat as needed.

Hope this helps.

-Joe, who spent his 4th of July party manning the margarita station

* 2 parts sugar, 1 part water, brought to a boil, then turned down to a simmer for 5 minutes, then allowed to cool off heat.

Thanks all! Great ideas.

For reference, here's what I went' with:
# 2 cups sugar
# 2 cups water
# 2 cups freshly squeezed lime juice
# 2 cups tequila
# 1 cup triple sec (or Grand Marnier)

Heated the water/sugar then cooled for simple syrup. Combined w/ other ingredients and served w/ lime wedge over ice. Better than any mix I've ever used.

every time the topic of margaritas comes up I think of something I read on a blog run by a bartender. According to him, a margarita is tequila, triple sec, and lime juice and ecipes that specify the brand of limeade and not the brand of tequila miss the point entirely.

When properly concocted, the simple mix of three quality ingredients, demonstrates perfectly how a good cocktail can be more than the sum of its parts.

Jim, I like the simple syrup plan. I did a similar thing, sometime ago for a party, where we made a couple a different flavored syrups that could be combined with fresh fruit, liquor and soda water in 100's of different combos, it was a blast.

Originally posted by JimK:
Thanks all! Great ideas.

For reference, here's what I went' with:
# 2 cups sugar
# 2 cups water
# 2 cups freshly squeezed lime juice
# 2 cups tequila
# 1 cup triple sec (or Grand Marnier)

Heated the water/sugar then cooled for simple syrup. Combined w/ other ingredients and served w/ lime wedge over ice. Better than any mix I've ever used.

Just mixed up another double batch of this for company later and realized it's 1 year ago today that I first tried it. It's a great recipe w/ the grand marnier and I've used it quite a bit. Looking forward to cocktails later on...

1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 cup Triple Sec
1 cup reposado tequila
1/4 agave necter
blend well, pour over crushed ice

Back