Best Dang Steak Technique i have found

G

I forgot how i found this technique but ive tried it twice and it makes the best dang steak. Here is the blog entry for the technique:
http://steamykitchen.com/blog/...o-gucci-prime-steaks

I cooked a nice thick strip steak tonight over charcoal with a little mesquite wood added to a perfect medium-rare and wow.
icon_biggrin.gif

I ate it with chicken enchiladas with a poblano cream sauce (thanks to Kevin Kruger for the cookbook recommendation) from the following cookbook:
http://www.amazon.com/Cocina-F...341/thevirtualweberb

Best Dinner I think ive had in a long time. Anyone every try a quick salt cure like this on steak? If you haven't you got to try it....it seems to simple to work but i'm a believer
icon_smile.gif

Brent:

I've been using the salt technique for about 8 months now, and I have to say I agree with you.

I have yet to find another technique that produces a better flavor to my tastebuds.

Originally posted by Brent W.:<snip>Best Dinner I think ive had in a long time. Anyone every try a quick salt cure like this on steak? If you haven't you got to try it....it seems to simple to work but i'm a believer
icon_smile.gif

Heavy salt & pepper, sometimes use garlic salt instead & heavy pepper. High heat (I'm high elevation) & perfect rare.

The steak in the pic in link 1 looked like it was cooked over a 1000+F flame for ~3 minutes per side - burnt & cold. I like it over a ~600F flame for 7 or 8 minutes per side... charred but moist outside, warm red/blood red inside. mmmmm

OT: I cooked some kick a55 burgers tonight - 2nd time I've tried the sweet potatos that Larry W likes to cook.. OMG they're good. Tried both sweet potatos & yams, both work for me. Ribs/burgers are going on this weekend. Firing up the WSM after a long rest.

Don't forget your smoke wood while grilling.

Doing sirloin steaks tonight at my nephews' request. Do you think they would also benifeit from this method? If you wanted to add some garlic flavor would you use fresh crushed garlic or powdered? Which do you think would absorb better?

Originally posted by chris comer:
Doing sirloin steaks tonight at my nephews' request. Do you think they would also benifeit from this method? If you wanted to add some garlic flavor would you use fresh crushed garlic or powdered? Which do you think would absorb better?

Either one I bet but the crushed garlic may burn on the surface of the meat. Sounds like a good tasting experiment is in order.

Besides a garlic press or side of knife squish, I usually have a jar of pre-crushed garlic, 1 tsp = 1 clove or something like that. That is already a little moist & would probably rub in with a spoon quite nice. Ribeyes on sale @ 2 different stores around here for $5/$6 #, Sirloins on sale from $2.29 - $4 #... This is the time to stock up on meat & freeze it IME.

The thing with the salt, again IME, is I don't always let it sit, sometimes I do, sometimes not. No big deal either way. Sometimes I'll salt & pepper a plate & 'dip' the steaks onto it, but you can just sprinkle it over the top. It seems like the salt will be too heavy etc but it seems to drip off for the most part.

The articule linked mentioned that at the time of salting add whatever other spices you would like to include and that the meat will absorb the flavor. Then rinse and pat dry prior to grilling. So the question would more accurately be, crushed or granulated, which would absorb into the meat better while salting? Larry on those salted ribeyes did you rinse them?

Another question would be Montreal steak seasoning. Its' base seems to be coarse grind salt, then several additional spices. Would this serve the same purpose and then not need to be rinsed prior to grilling?

Another question would be Montreal steak seasoning. Its' base seems to be coarse grind salt, then several additional spices. Would this serve the same purpose and then not need to be rinsed prior to grilling?

I'll be honest with you chris i don't know if i would chance it especially if it was an expensive piece of meat. I wouldn't put anything with salt on it. After i cooked the steak it definitely tasted like it was well seasoned with salt. The only thing i put on my steak after i rinsed off the salt was coarsely ground pepper and dried oregano.

Brent

Those of you who are going to try this out to report back here and let us all know what you think
icon_smile.gif
. Pictures would be awesome too
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Brent W.:
Those of you who are going to try this out to report back here and let us all know what you think
icon_smile.gif
. Pictures would be awesome too
icon_smile.gif

Brent here's some pic's from the link above from some ribeyes I did a while back.

IMG_9471.jpg
IMG_9472.jpg
IMG_9480.jpg
IMG_9483.jpg
IMG_9485.jpg
IMG_9488.jpg

I'll add real quick -

When I do this method, I make sure NOT to use any sort of seasoning containing salt after I rinse them and throw them on the grill. The couple times I've done it, WAYYY to salty for my taste.

Usually I'll just do freshly cracked pepper.

Originally posted by Mitch Josey:
I'll add real quick -

When I do this method, I make sure NOT to use any sort of seasoning containing salt after I rinse them and throw them on the grill. The couple times I've done it, WAYYY to salty for my taste.

Usually I'll just do freshly cracked pepper.

I agree! Kinda like salting a brined turkey.....

Originally posted by Vince B:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
This is a good method. Here's some Salted Ribeyes I did a while back with the review.

Wow that is a lot of salt. How long do you leave them like that before rinsing? Vince </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For about an hour, then rinse thoroughly with cold water, pat dry and season. Yes, it is alot of salt, but you taste no more salt in the finished product than you do from a normally seasoned steak.

Does anyone know if this technique could be used for hamburgers as well?? My guess is no - could be messy and most burgers have enough fat content to remain moist and juicy through the cooking process. Anyone care to speculate?

Originally posted by Michael Keig:
Does anyone know if this technique could be used for hamburgers as well?? My guess is no - could be messy and most burgers have enough fat content to remain moist and juicy through the cooking process. Anyone care to speculate?

I wouldn't try it, due to the fact when you go to rinse the burgers will more than likely fall apart. I would also imagine with burgers being 'ground' meat it would absorb too much salt as well.

Yes, you can do this. As long as you don't use a lot in the first place the steaks need not be rinsed. I use no more than I normally would and do not rinse.

Back