Amount of Smoke Wood?

Arnold

Is there a formula when it comes to the amout of smoke wood needed for the amount of meat being smoked?Like for every 2 pounds of meat you use 1 chunk of smoke wood for a light smoke.

I think it all depends on what each is looking for taste wise!

If your new to q'n this is an excellent place to start as a referance per the kind of cook your doing:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html

Me personally I use 3 chunks under in my unlit for ribs and chicken. 6 chunks for butts or briskets, 5 in unlit and 1 w/lit.

I agree with Glenn. It depends on your taste. I would recommend that you start out with light amounts and keep trying more until you reach what you like. It's easy to overdo it.

Also, different woods will act differently on different meats. For instance, I go 5 or 6 pieces of apple for pork butts, 5 or 6 cherry for brisket, 2 or 3 apple for ribs, 2 or 3 hickory (sometimes with some sugar maple) for chicken.

I never ever use mesquite.

Russ

I agree with what others have said. I started out with amounts like the ones that Russ has stated. I have played with increasing those for cooks in which I foil the meat during the cooking process so that I get the same amount of smoke over a shorter period of time. I now just start with say a hand full of hickory or pecan and just keep adding so as to maintain a constant thin stream of smoke during the cook until I foil.

-Don Dukes

Back