water vs. no water

P.Jean

On the WSM boards I have read a little about people using the unit without water. When is a waterless smoke desireable?

All the time IMHO
icon_biggrin.gif

I would get used to your WSM with water just like the instructions in Chris's cooking topics http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html before you get crazy with the no water method.

Once you master that then play around with the foiled pan or foiled clay pan with lump and etc.....

There are tons of threads on this stuff here!

Good luck
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I agree mainly with what Glen W said except that I haven't used water in the pan once during my 8 or so smokes. I foil a 14" clay saucer and set it on top of the water pan. By using the minion method and shutting down the vents to about 10% when she reaches 200*, I have no problem maintaining 225-240 at the lid. I also use very little charcoal which makes it cheaper to operate and produces less ash.

For me, going waterless is great for long cooks. Not having to add water and knowing that my temps are steady make for a comfortable overnight cook.

Paul

It's a conspiracy, I tell you!
icon_biggrin.gif

I tried all kinds a foils and no matter 1 leaks evertime. I have my saucer doubled and the top of the pan as well.

Good idea on covering the pan as well. I happened to check mine recently and found some raunchy rancid grease in it. That is when I started put foil in the pan and checking it often.

i'm in a wheelchair. so dealing with water is near impossible. for both cooks i just used a fire brick and had no real issues. i'll probably go to a clay dish if i feel the brick is not enough.

It is for a heat sink, to keep temps more stable/ spiking up or down. Kinda like a shock on your car!

If you want high heat for poultry or whatever it is not needed.

Thanks Glen! that makes sense. So when you cook without water, you will put the pot or brick in with the coals and take out the water pan? Sorry again..... doing my first cook tomorrow, so I have a lot to learn.

Originally posted by Jerry P.:
I foil a 14" clay saucer and set it on top of the water pan. By using the minion method and shutting down the vents to about 10% when she reaches 200*, I have no problem maintaining 225-240 at the lid. I also use very little charcoal which makes it cheaper to operate and produces less ash.
Is the purpose of foiling to catch drippings?

I use a 12.25" saucer in the newer 18.5 (big water pan). It sets about halfway into the pan. I double foil the clay then double foil the top of the water pan.

With a little practice you can maintain 210+ with this method.

Example: Fully packed ring w/6 wood chunks (fist size) a half chimney of lit on top, bottom vents at 15% top at 100% I can hold 225-250 for 10+ hrs.

I never use the pan no problem controlling temps. Charcoal lasts twice as long without the pan. Thats using the top grate not the bottom.

Try it without and see what you think. I generally don't care for water pans in smokers. I think it harms the bark, makes more of a mess, and wastes fuel. With the WSM the temperature control is just too excellent to need it. If you want some thermal mass to help keep temps stable you can throw a fire brick or clay saucer into the empty water pan but even then I don't think its necessary.

And yes the foiling is just to make clean up easy. I don't bother. When it cools off I scrape out whatever muck is in there and drop the pan back in. Nothing to be gained from having a pretty pan if you ask me.

the brick is for thermal mass and a little control of the heat fluctuations. i havn't cooked enough to experiment but it makes sense to me. i put it in the water pan and then foil over that for the grease. works for me so thats why i do it that way. the fun of all this is to experiment and find what works for you !

Thanks all! It therefore appears that the water bowl and its steaming properties add nothing to the cook other than temperature stabilization. I assume that any type of clay pot(the orange kind) will do, but what about the bricks? Will any old brick do?

As far as the clay saucer, try to avoid the ones at the dollar store ( made in China, which may contain lead )
Concrete bricks or CMU retain moisture so you have a possibility of having the brick explode on you during a cook.
Fire Bricks would be a safer choice IMO.

Me.. I just use an empty foiled pan.
HTH

Tim

Back