Prep area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Hafer

TVWBB Member
Jamie,

I have some vague questions and expect only subjective answers.

Do you have any advice for what is the best environment for prep in barbecue and grilling? I know much comes down to personal preference, but how would a trained chef like you approach prep for barbecue? For instance, do you wheel a Boos butcherblock cart outside, one like we see you in the WeberNation videos? Is it worth the investment? Do you keep the same set of knives available? If so, which do you find indispensable?

My frustration comes in trying to carry everything outside--tongs, rubs, etc.--only to realize I've forgotten something, which means opening and closing two sets of doors each time. I've tried lists, but they are too fussy and don't seem to work.

We're rethinking our kitchen here and planning a backdoor exit to the outside barbecue area. I want to avoid those simple frustrations which mount into big ones later on, especially since I get to remake the kitchen, or, rather, my part of it! I'm trying to avoid later regrets and buyer remorse.

Gary

Gary,
The chef's approach relies heavily on the idea of "mise en place," which I think is French for "put in place." Practically speaking, it means getting all you "stuff" together before the meat hits the heat. I do 90% of my prep work in the kitchen on the butcherblock table you see in the WeberNation videos. That's mostly because of the availability of running water. If you had running water and refrigeration outside, you would have an enviable outdoor kitchen and and I would come to live in your house and drink your beer and never leave. But I digress. When I'm ready to grill, I bring all my "mise en place" outside on sheet pans (can’t have enough of those) and set them down on a big marble-top (heatproof) table. I often bring with me a cutting board and a knife or two. I have used Wustoff knives for years, and I like them, though I just discovered Shun knives and I REALLY like those. Anyway, I rambling and feel that I haven’t given you a succinct answer. Maybe that’s because our grilling spaces are so individualistic. Mine is just steps from my kitchen, so if I have to run back inside (rarely happens), I don’t mind. If you have a longer way to go, make “mise en place” your mantra. Better yet, create a self-contained kitchen outside and never look back.
Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back