Jaccard Meat Tenderizer?

JimT

TVWBB Pro
I've been thinking about purchasing one for some time now, but just can't seem to "pull the trigger." I guess I'm just not convinced of their real value, especially since I virtually never marinate any meat.

I'd be interested to hear any and all thoughts you good folks might have on this product.

Thanks,

JimT

I have a 48 blade model. Bought it at Academy Sports for under $20. Use it occasionally on cuts like chuck eye steaks. Have used it on brisket flats intended for pastrami. It's dishwasher safe...

I use it all the time.

Tandoori Chicken prep (stabberize, then marinate in herbs/spices), veal piccata (stabberize, then pound)...

It's a good unique tool for kitchen shed.

I have the 48 tooth one which I have had for over 15 years. We use it on a great variety of meats If mine broke I would go to the ends of the earth go get another one, that is how much I think of ours.

Btw we paid about $50.00 way back then, from a kitchen specialty store.

later

I bought one a few weeks ago at Academy. They had the Jaccard and another off-brand that was essentially the same thing. I think I got it for about $15. I have used it on chicken and pork chops, but didn't really notice a difference. I might have to do a side by side test to see if it really helps things out. Might do that tonight and post back.

One note of caution... those things are sharp. I was washing it on the first day I bought it and cut one of my fingers. I never thought the bleeding would stop; therefore, be careful.

Tried it out on pork chops tonight. I cooked them in the oven tonight due to lack of time. The ones that were tenderized with this device had a lot more grease/juice drain out during the cooking process. However, I did notice that the tenderized ones were a little easier to cut with a fork. I'd like to try this again on steaks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gary s smith:
It works well on steaks also. But I don't think it helps a well marbled choice rib eye </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, I'd never ever poke a hole in a rib eye, until it's on my plate.
icon_wink.gif

I bought one some years ago and mostly in gathers dust as I found it a GIANT PITA to take apart and clean. How do you all clean yours? Do you take it apart or just put in the dishwasher as is?

I got mine at H.E.B. about a year ago for $ 10.00. I mainly use it on top round steaks when I make Chicken fried steak and skirt before I marinate it for Fajitas. It also dose a good job on London Broil.
Don to clean mine i just put in in the top rack of the dishwasher with the blades pointing down.

I saw a Mr. BBQ brand one at Big Lots last summer for $7 IIRC. I use it on london broils before marination. I just chuck it in the DW. For 7 bucks,if I mess it up,no biggy. HTH

Back