Cold smoked salmon in a Go Anywhere

Mark R-S

TVWBB Fan
I've been wanting to try cold smoking for quite a while, and on Friday I tried for the first time. Here's a picture of my set up:

28052010610.jpg

I built a smoke daddy-type cold smoke generator, and used my GA as the smoke box. I was originally planning to do the smoking in my WSM, but in the end I used the GA because it was more convenient to clamy the smoke generator in a workbench and pipe the smoke in through one of the bottom vents of the GA.

The smoke generator worked very well, and gave nice cool smoke. The temperature inside the GA was the wame as the outside temperature, 16C.

28052010613.jpg

I had no idea how long I should have smoked the fish, so I just kept an eye on it and took it out when it looked done, which was after 3 hours. As cold smoking goes that was a pretty short time because the smoke was so intense in the GA.

The fish turned out very well, but next time I'll do the smoking in the WSM where the smoke will be less intense.

-Mark.

I like the idea - I would never have thought to use a Go anywhere like this. Its pretty cool to see new ideas/uses for weber stuff!

thanks for sharing the photos, too bad you can't share the salmon!

I didn't really think of it - It just happened
icon_smile.gif
This weekend I'm looking forward to using the GA for it's intended purpose again - Kabops.

-Mark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i've slowly been working on one of those smoker gadjets also. glad to see that it works. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are you making yours out of, George?

I'd been planning to make a cold smoke generator for ages, but had been wondering how to do it since I don't have a lot of metal working tools. I kept my eyes open for something suitable which wouldn't require too much modification, and then I found this:

20-718_h.jpg

It's an oil suction pump for removing oil from small things like lawn mowers. It's just about perfect for turning into a cold smoke generator because it's a good size (about 12" long), has removable ends and already has a nozzle on the bottom. All I had to do was 1) remove the plunger and block the hole in the lid 2) add a nozzle at the top for the smoke 3) add a grid in the bottom, I used an old tea strainer, and 4) connect an aquarium pump. I used silicone tubing since PVC couldn't take the heat.

The whole lot cost 16 bucks - 5 for the oil sucker and 11 for the air pump.

Here it is in action:

18052010600.jpg

I puts out a good amount of smoke for a couple of hours, or probably more if I would reduce the air flow.

If anybody would like more details or pictures on how to construct one just let me know.

-Mark.

mark, yer a geniouse !! i was gonna do a bunch of welding and cutting, on and on. you just cured me of that. off to get a sucker. hmmmm, actually i have an old one thats not working, where oh where is it ??

Would it be possible to post a picture of the internals of this unit, as well as some instructions on how you fire it up?

I'm planning on building one, but I have no clue on how it works.

Hello Geir.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

There isn't actually much inside the smoke generator. At the bottom of the tube there's the fine wire mesh from a tea strainer which is just cut to size and pushed into the tube to hold the wood chips and act as a kind of grate. I light the woodchips using a small 'windproof' lighter pointed up through the bottom of the tube onto the wire mesh. This video shows how to light the Smoke Daddy, and my smoke generator is similar:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fi...2#p/u/23/LJOK13qY6mM

I bought the oil extractor from Biltema, and I think they're also in Norway.

-Mark.

I see, I already have one of those extractors
icon_smile.gif
I have used mine to change oil on my lawnmover, so I think I need a fresh one. I'm familiar with metal work, and i have the tools needed. I was just wondering how the chips were held in place, and I was a bit worried that a weedburner would melt the wire mesh from a tea strainer. The windproof lighter is a good idea. I've already seen the video, I found it a short time after my post here.
Thank you for the help so far.

i went and got a oil extractor at harbor freight last week. its painted on the outside but that won't be a big deal. when i checked it later i found that one of the caps wouldn't screw on tight. so i took it back and exchanged it for one with tight caps. i asked the manager what they did with returns like that and he said they send it back. i explained what i was doing and asked if he would sell the bad one back to me for a few $$$. he said no at first. then as i was paying for some other items he said "how about $3 ?" i said "sure" as thats what i wanted to pay for it. so for minimal cost, i hace a good suction pump plus one that i will turn into a cold smoker. the old one i mentioned i had was just way to big and longer but i also have sentimental
feelings towards it as i've had it since the early 70's. i plan on doing things a little differant to make the smoker and will hope to show them later.

Hi Mark,

I'm new to the site and was very impressed with this project. I have copied your instructions but i'm not getting any where near the smoke time you suggest as possible, maybe 20 minutes at most. Any suggestions as to where i have gone wrong.
  • is it air flow, not enough heat to start, wood too dry.

I've started discounting from the list but to no avail.
    thanks

dave

I'm not Mark, but I will answer anyway
icon_smile.gif

Here's my thread- http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...78107116/m/662102876

Does your smoker burn the chips, or are there chips left?

I had som problems with my first run, the smoker went dead long before the chips were gone. I solved this in two ways, I dropped a small piece of ignited charcoal (weedburner) into the smoke generator before filling it with chips. My chips were way too wet, I used a chainsaw on some smokewood. I dried the chips in the microwave before dropping them in the smoke generator. I did not take the time, but two hours of smoking time seems to be about the same before the chips were spent.

Hi Geir,

Thankyou for your reply.Awesome. Today i tried to get the chips really started. It did seem to run better, meaning more smoke but still no longer. It may be the pump, with not enough airflow.I'll try the piece of charcoal tomorrow. I tell you what though it we could mod this thing to run a heat gun through it, smoke won't be a problem. i've been playing with that as well.I'm sure its just a matter of ruling out one thing at a time.
icon_smile.gif
. i'm dying to try some dry-cured bacon.....thanks

Fired up the generator today and it ran for 5 hours. I'm embarrassed to say that i filled it to the top, gave it a blast from the heat gun, let it run for a minute and then screwed on the caps. When it had finally stopped smoking, i emptied the canister. Maybe a table spoon of ash if at all. extremely good burn, nothing wasted. i was amazed and cheap to make. just awesome. moving on to bacon.

Hey Geir - nice work and thanks for sharing! I noticed on the smokedaddy video he is using a hot plate/other heat source. When you guys are smoking are you doing the same or is the only heat coming from the cold smoke? Just curious I know you can add a few briquettes/chunks of charcoal to keep things where you want.

Hi Ray,

Generally i try to keep my smoke generator separate from the smoking box as such. when i'm hot smoking or smoke cooking i have additional heat inside the smoke box, in my case an old fridge that has ben converted. I found this site a copied from there.

http://www.gassmoker.com/c-burner.htm

i find cold smoking give you better flavor and i read in a book,
http://www.amazon.com/Backyard...cPeake/dp/0971801428 page 88

that protein starts to set at 120 degrees fahrenheit internal temperature and at 140 degrees the protein is completely set and cannot
absorb anymore smoke flavor.

i found this very interesting. thanks

still working on mine. i change my mind on what i'm gonna do about every hour. driving me nuts. so next week i'm gonna just do something, right or wrong !!

Thats right George, live for the now. i'm still trying different woods and cuts. the chips went well, but i've come across a staggering amount of
american white oak. hoping it smokes like crazy.

I've only cold smoked salmon with mine, and a temp between 35 and 70 degrees is right. Because of this, I have not needed a extra heatsource in the WSM. It's getting cold here in Norway, and degrees drop below 32, so I'll try to fire up a few chunks of charcoal on the next run.

Back