Tri Tip

Brian Trommater

TVWBB Super Fan
After seeing so many post about these steaks I decide to try them. See them at Sam's all the time and they look so good. They look differant then the one's I have seem on forum. Here is a pic:

IMG_1037_1.jpg.w300h225.jpg

Just 12 dollars for all that meat. Took them over to some friends and my friend Chuck marinaded them for an hour and grilled them. They raise their own beef so I was really hoping they where going to be good. They where great. So full of flavor and pretty tender. I took the left overs home and the next day pulled them out of the fridge. Cut a piece off before reheating them and tasted. It tasted great cold. Just slice up and ate. Have to say this was the best steak eating cold I have ever had. Will be doing Tri Tips again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Trommater:
After seeing so many post about these steaks I decide to try them. See them at Sam's all the time and they look so good. They look differant then the one's I have seem on forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's because the tri's you see on the forum are roasts, ~2-2.5 lbs each, vs steaks

Yep, my local Sam's cuts them up the same way....but if you talk to the nice man behind the meat counter, you get two options:

1. If you call early in the day, before the slice them, they can hold a couple roasts for you, un-cut.

2. If you want a bunch, you can buy an entire cryo bag of uncut roasts.

GOOD STUFF, either way!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jarrod Igou:
Yep, my local Sam's cuts them up the same way....

2. If you want a bunch, you can buy an entire cryo bag of uncut roasts.

GOOD STUFF, either way! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The same goes at Costco. They have many cryo-vac bags of whole Tris back in the cooler. You also get a price break if you buy the whole cryo bag of Tris.
icon_wink.gif

Years past I had to order tri tips from my butcher then Costco started selling the tri tip roast about 3 years ago. Now my Costco only sell tri tip steaks. I prefer roast, I will ask our costco butcher if he can save some roasts for me before they cut them up,thanks Jarrod. It's a good cut of meat for the price, the tri tips take marinaded well and be sure to cut against the grain and don't make them well done they will get tough real quick.

Back