15# of pork butt - They're done

BradP "p-nut"

TVWBB Fan
Took off work today to do cook up 15# of pork butt of my boys 4yr b-day party tomorrow.
First time doing butts on the WSM (had always done it on the Outlaw).

Last night I rubbed them down with my basic rub.
Light slather of regular mustard and then the rub went on.
Paprika
Garlic powder
Onion powder
black pepper
red pepper
celery salt

Using mainly Apple wood with a couple chunks of Hickory.

My chimney light slowed me down a little but they finally went on at 8am.
Lookin at about 13hrs I assume (whenever I get'm to hit 190 internal) and then I'll foil/wrap and cooler then for a while then pull'm.

20100115_butts_prep.jpg

20100115_butts_on1.jpg

20100115_butts_on2.jpg

Hey Brad, good lookin' butts!
You have a total of 15 lbs? Like two 7+ lbers?
My cook time has been about an hour a pound.
When I did my last butt cook on Christmas eve day, I had 14lbs of butt (2 seven pounders) and it took approximately 8 hours at 250' to achieve 190-195 internal degrees.
I'm guessing yours will take less time than you imagine.
Enjoy your cook!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Good lookin butts P-nut...you're gonna have a fun day smokin them babies...I like just watchin the smoke swirl up and smellin it
icon_cool.gif
... I see you've already got the SS door too
icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, I always thought an hour or so a pound so for 15 pounds of butt, it'd take all day.... butt with two 7 or 8#er's, it only took the lesser time.
Know what I mean?

Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
Good lookin butts P-nut...you're gonna have a fun day smokin them babies...I like just watchin the smoke swirl up and smellin it
icon_cool.gif
... I see you've already got the SS door too
icon_biggrin.gif

SS door and senser grommets installed about 10min after getting the mail yesterday.
Next mod is handles on the main chamber (gonna do weber handles like someone else here did)
I love this WSM and don't miss my Outlaw at all.

Great Lookin' Butts Brad!
Yeahya, 7+ lbs of butt at 240-260 degrees gets you at 190 or so at almost an hour a pound...
And it's nowhere NEAR midnight
icon_biggrin.gif

you got good eets there buddy...
my Gawd! I LOVE butt!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

meant to mention, I don't use water in the pan anymore, I just foil it to catch that drippin' heaven and then add it to the pullin' process after it's skimmed... ya might wanna try that next time.
or not
icon_razz.gif

I eet butt like it's candy
icon_biggrin.gif

I know... I've posted this a couple of times. But I can't tell if it's being missed or folks think it gross or what... But save those bones and remnants after pulling and make a BBQ pork stock with it! It is amazing! And it is SO simple! Don't let all of that goodness just go to waste!

Pork Butt Stock and Posole Soup

steve, i've read that or something like it somewhere (but he.ll to bells if i remember) and it certainly does a number on the pp... almost like a secret weapon
icon_biggrin.gif

I've also heard of folks "peelin'" off the bark (Mr. Brown) and tossin' it...
icon_eek.gif

I once asked if they smoked too much fricken weed and got a straight face response.
PAFSSometimes.

Originally posted by BradP "p-nut":
Took off work today to do cook up 15# of pork butt of my boys 4yr b-day party tomorrow.

Brad,
The butt looks fantastic! Funny thing is I'm also gonna do pork butt for my daughter's 4th b-day party the beginning of February. It made my day when she told me she wanted pulled pork.
icon_smile.gif

Joe

P-nut,..Those butts looked perfect comin off the WSM, real nice color and looked moist
icon_wink.gif
But once you pulled it wow!! ...even in the picture the meat appears nice and moist with a good lookin texture...Super job
icon_razz.gif

Thanks for the comments everyone.
We had a great party and a ton of food got ate.
All the pulled pork is gone.
I didn't even have any left over to foodsaver.
I wanted to put some in the freezer but this gives me an excuse to fire up the WSM again.

Back