JimLampe'sGrillin'JohnsonvilleBrats!!!

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Love Johnsonville's sausages and their Brats hafta to be the best around. I rounded up the usual suspects, no... not you Maddie. These usual suspects: Poblano and <span class="ev_code_RED">Red</span> peppers, quartered Yukons and ... party crashers, <span class="ev_code_GREEN">green</span> onions.
Tossed it all around the <span class="ev_code_PURPLE">BurgundyOTSDoubleD</span> a time or two... whistled a few bars...
And a few minutes later, we added an ice cold Miller High Life to the scene, plopped a couplaa pieces of Wisconsin Cheddar on a few over-sized rolls and filled it up with those P&R peppers, g-onions and those Wisconsin favourites, Johnsonville Bratwursts. (if you're from these parts, just callem BRATS - rhymes with trots
icon_biggrin.gif
)
Kinda like the weird guy from the food channel says... "Good Eets!"
{don't foget the <span class="ev_code_GREEN">GIANT</span> dill pickle, Liz said}
Thanks for viewing
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Great looking and colorful plate. I could go for a couple and with all those veggies on there it almost looks healthy.

Man Jim, you ain't givin' that Burgundy a break!
Lots of good looking oblong food there my friend!

A little suprised at the J brats though.
We love 'em, but figured you WI people had a personal prefered brat producer located on every prominent street corner
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Bob, Thanks Gary!
The Burg will rest once the temps even out and the cover comes off the others...
John's Brat are Wisconsin's favourites... probably sell as many brats as bottles of that Champange of Beers
icon_biggrin.gif

They actually go hand in hand.

Sounds like a terrific meal, Jim -

You a mustard guy? I know that I love a dab of some good Dusseldorf-style on brats.

I know that a lot of people like to par-boil their brats before grilling them, but I like to cook 'em indirect without par-boil in most cases. (Simmer in Beer, butter, & onions when cooking for a crowd.)

Johnsonville's are really good - but what do you think of the Sendik's house-brand? Also, have you ever tried some from Sheboygan Sausage Company or Cher-Make (Manitowoc)?
(Somebody on the internet should put together a "Brat Database" of who makes the best ones by State & City.)

Usingers are supposedly a more "true" European-style Bratwurst, but I find their grind too fine for my tastes and I like a little more spice in them. (Although if you like hot-dogs, you gotta' get some of their natural-casing beef franks - they're out-of-this-world on the grille!)

Also, hard to beat the rolls from Sciortinos!
(Although I'm sure there are some good Italian-style bakeries down Kenosha-way!)

Sorry for the rambling - but the nice weather is bringing out the sausage-head in me.

Prost!

Jim, love all your posts. You're hysterical! Always entertaining.

I was born in Va. but my parents were transferred to Minneapolis when I was in middle school...That's when I was introduced to what has become one of my absolute favorite foods, the Brat! Love em!!! ...and those look fantastic!

Like Bob Correll, I was a little surprised at the Johnsonvilles. I love them but thought there would be a better, less mass produced brand for you Wisconsinites. Gotta go with them since they're "Wisconsin's favorites" though!

Thanks Ron!
Originally posted by Ron G.: ...what do you think of the Sendik's house-brand? <span class="ev_code_RED">I have Ron, And I think they're quite boring, frankly.</span> Also, have you ever tried some from Sheboygan Sausage Company or Cher-Make (Manitowoc)? <span class="ev_code_RED">No I have not, I now know I probably should
icon_biggrin.gif
</span>
Usingers are supposedly a more "true" European-style Bratwurst, but I find their grind too fine for my tastes and I like a little more spice in them. (Although if you like hot-dogs, you gotta' get some of their natural-casing beef franks - they're out-of-this-world on the grille!) <span class="ev_code_RED">It's been YEARS since I've had Usingers </span>
Thanks Don!
icon_smile.gif
Sometimes mass produced is good, butt I've always LOVED Johnsonville's, don't care for their prices tho... And Thank you Dwayne! The High Life is the Flagship and it's been poured in my belly for over thirty years...

Originally posted by Don Cash:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron G.:
Somebody on the internet should put together a "Brat Database" of who makes the best ones by State & City.

Ron, Check out this post from September of last year.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...=606107772#606107772 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had forgotten that I posted that here. We definitely had some bratwurst surprises.

Jim - I know it is bad form to pi$$ into someone's brat bath, but J-ville was one of the poorer performers at my taste-off. I think they are a decent brat, but definitely not my first choice.

Ron G. - Usingers offers Sheboygan-style brats in addition to their European-style brats. I find them at Sam's Club in huge containers.

Originally posted by JRPfeff:
I had forgotten that I posted that here.
I didn't... I was incredibly impressed and envious of that event. Looked like it was such a fun time!!

Don,

I vowed that I'd never do that again, but it was a blast. Maybe I'll break down later this year. If it does happen you are welcome to join us, as are Ron G. and Mr. Lampe.

Jim

Usingers offers Sheboygan-style brats in addition to their European-style brats. I find them at Sam's Club in huge containers.

Sounds like I need to get a Sam's Card (There's a Sam's only a few blocks from where I work.)

If "The Great Bratwurst Challenge - Redux" happens this year, count me in! Sounded like mondo-fun and good eatin'

Jim, the next time you're up in Appleton, pick up some Brats from Jacobs Meat Market. It's an old neighborhood butcher that has the best brats around.

HolySmokes! I did not realize all the other brats available in this state... Jim, no "bad form" problem, I'm not too old where I can't learn new stuff... and when it comes to food or different styles of preperation, I'm all ears.
Your "Great Bratwurst Challenge" must have been a blast, would love to have been there!
If you do up another, (and need help) I would wear bells!
icon_biggrin.gif

Now I need to extend my "brat vision".
Pete, my niece lives in Wrightstown and works in the Apple, I'll ask her to stop by Lawe Street and grab a dozen on her way down here next weekend. Thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by Pete D.:
Jim, the next time you're up in Appleton, pick up some Brats from Jacobs Meat Market. It's an old neighborhood butcher that has the best brats around.
This how it started last year. I better nip it in the bud.

I'm from Waupaca, and I used to go to a cheese plant ,that I think was in Freemont, and get Jalapeno and pineapple brats. Good stuff. Of course Johnsonville are good too. Man, I need to go cook some brats now.

Back