Blade Style Tenderizors

r benash

TVWBB Emerald Member
Was wondering if you folks use or how often you use a blade style tenderizer. Jaccard style, Butchers Kitchen, etc.

I have a flat pounder and textured style that I use fairly often for chicken breasts, etc. Have been thinking about a blade type.

A discussion on the board regarding chicken skin prep for comp got me to thinking about it (actually for duck skin that Kevin K mentioned).

General question would be do you have one, do you use it often? Which do you folks like best.

Other question or concern of mine is that for beef steaks some cuts of pork - isn't the general goal to not pierce to keep the juices in side during cooking? Doesn't this negate that since you're piercing all over. Is there something different piercing like this before cooking? Seems counter to the idea though.

I like the idea of piercing to shorten marinating time and make it more effective. Seems to me there may be other advantages like more even cooking.

Interested in your thoughts in general.

Ray,

I have a jaccard and use it several times a year on beef only. I use it to tenderize the meat. I hear what you're saying about piercing the meat, thus juices run out...but since the meat was a less tender cut, I opt to jaccard it and marinate the meat and not worry about loss of moisture. It seems to work pretty well, but a tough cut of meat will always be a relatively tough cut no matter what is what I'm finding out. What I don't care for, is that if I use the jaccard all over the meat, it also pounds down the meat and yields a thinner finished product.

Paul

Interesting Paul. I thought that you would be able to use it without compacting the cut if you wanted, interesting point.

Another thought as far as If one is mixing braising into the cooking method/process it might not be as much and issue as in straight up grilling.

I have a Jaccard. What I DON'T like about it is when I take it apart for cleaning, it is HARD to get the blades to line up with the base and get it reassembled. Really frustrating.

I'm not sure if I get more juices running from it or not. I kind of don't use it a lot since it's hard to reassemble.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm not sure if I get more juices running from it or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You should actually get less in most cases.

Par-freeze the meat first to lessen compacting.

ive been using one for years. chicken beef pork. I dont think you get juice loss. Especially if you grill it. the high heat sears it closed. my 2 cents

Wow, didn't realize there was additional conversation. Thanks I did pick one up and looking to use it soon. Information here was helpful.

I was concerned wondering about fluid loss, etc but now I get it. Really Kevin's mention of using one on duck to pierce the skin first got me going. I really want to roti some duck again soon but want to find something other than Pekin this time just to try another breed.

I have to start remembering to hit notify so I don't have to remember to check back
icon_wink.gif

Hi Chris, when using it on chicken you are simply piercing the skin correct? Do you do this while frozen to keep from going into the meat?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Hi Chris, when using it on chicken you are simply piercing the skin correct? Do you do this while frozen to keep from going into the meat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry it took so long to reply.

Its mostly the skin, but it doesn't hurt to hit the meat 'some'. I don't freeze 'comp' chicken so no, it's not frozen.

I bought one of the newer Jaccards that the blades are removable as a 'cartridge'. I remove the blades from the assy and hold the cartridge in one hand and I hold the chicken pieces by the bone in the other hand. I pierce the skin and rotate the piece of chicken until I have holes covering the skin. Doing it this way you get no compression like you would from pushing down on the whole assembly.

When the chick is cooked, you can't even tell that it had 100s of holes in it.

Back