Here goes....first cook in about 3hrs

JimMcG

TVWBB Member
Completely new to the WSM and am going to try the Basic Barbecued Chicken from the beginner's recipes on the site. Seems to be a popular choice from what I've read here. Appeals to me as a first timer since it's not a very long cook and will let me get familiar with the smoker before trying some ribs or butt. So....
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> I have my car oil catch pan down protecting the patio.
<LI> Foiled the water pan (unfortunately I didn't have the extra wide foil so I had to do it in layers. Will get some wide stuff for next cook).
<LI> New bag of K blue. No local source for chunks of fruit wood so I guess I'll just use a couple pieces of hickory. I think I have about a half a bag of apple chips but I don't know if I should give those a shot (wrapped in foil I'd assume).
<LI> Made the rub...just need to butterfly the chickens.
<LI> Currently about 40 degrees...will probably drop to mid-high 30s by the time I start.
[/list]
In the directions there's no mention of filling the pan with water. Guessing that since it's chicken and cook time is short, you want a higher temp and water would only serve to keep the temps down? Do I have that right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
In the directions there's no mention of filling the pan with water. Guessing that since it's chicken and cook time is short, you want a higher temp and water would only serve to keep the temps down? Do I have that right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Water acts purely as a heat sink, so there's no need for it in your situation. I didn't read the recipe you referred to, but I would guess the target is in the 300* range.

Good luck and have fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat McCreight:

Water acts purely as a heat sink, so there's no need for it in your situation. I didn't read the recipe you referred to, but I would guess the target is in the 300* range.

Good luck and have fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks...that's kinda what I figured. It's CA's recipe on the Cooking Tips page. Don't think he mentioned any temp but I'm assuming it will get at least to 300 as he says it takes a total of about an hour to cook.

Alright...meat on at 3:30PM!

Bit of an adventure getting things going...did the full chimney of K, dumped it into the ring. Measured another half chimney unlit and threw it on top of the lit in the ring. Set my 2 hickory chunks on the unlit and let it sit until the unlit became lit. Saw my bag of apple chips and thought what the heck. Put the chips in foil, threw it on. Went back out in 10 mins and both the apple chips and hickory were in flames. Put the middle section on right away and the lid trying to cut down on the air so the flames out die out. A minute or so later, I took a peek through the door and saw the flames were out.

Current temp looks to be about 310-315 taking into account the temp gauge error which is about 10* when I tested it in boiling water.

Well...it looked good anyway.

I didn't cook it long enough...shoulda known you're not gonna cook chicken in an hour. And I went pretty close to an hour and a half (which is still less than how long I cook a beer can chicken). Either my probe thermometer is lying to me or something. Checked the thighs for 180* and all but one seemed to be reading ok. Cut em on the plate and was still seeing a fair bit of pink, even in the breast. That scares me when it comes to chicken. Didn't seem like I had any kind of a heat problem as I saw the gauge get up to 325-ish.

Threw 'em all on baking sheet and chucked in the oven. I'm fairly dejected though I know I probably just should have left the chicken on the smoker for another 30 minutes or so.

Don't sweat it. We all do that. Q'ing just takes a little practice and patience. The bird came out great in the end. Right?
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
Don't sweat it. We all do that. Q'ing just takes a little practice and patience. The bird came out great in the end. Right?
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was definitely feeling rushed as I was trying to have it done between when my wife got home from work (4:30) and when she had to leave for her dr. appt. (5:15 or so). I should have allowed more time to cook...at least 2hrs and I could have thrown the birds under some foil if they were done early.

It was edible after going in the oven and didn't taste too bad but the breasts kind of dried out and the skin was still rubbery so that, for the most part made the rub a waste. Where I could find some crisp skin, it tasted great. Again, my fault on the skin as I skipped the last step of flipping the meat skin side down and putting the grill closer to the coals with the middle section removed. Again, I was feeling rushed because I knew time was running short. I really should have said, sorry, it's not gonna be done and we'll eat after you're back from the doctor.

I think I'll do better next time...though my next attempt is gonna be ribs or a butt...and that's a whole different story since I'll have to control the temps instead of running wide open top and bottom.

Here's how it looked when I took it off (sauced...not me, the chicken, hehe):

2010_0121_chicken.jpg

Jim - check for Kevin Kruger's post about when chicken is done. If I recall, Kevin's take on it (and I'm in the "if Kevin said it, it's a fact" camp) is that you can't go by appearance in determining when chicken is done. If your temperature probe is good, then you should've had cooked chicken.

At my CBJ class, they advocated the "color of the juices" test - take a white paper towel and blot the juice from the chicken and see if it runs clear. If so, you're good. If the juice is pink, call the table captain. However, some folks on the forum have taken issue with that.

I just try to hit 170 in the thigh and 160 in the breast and then tent with foil until time to eat.

Your chicken sure looks good sitting on the smoker!

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Jim - check for Kevin Kruger's post about when chicken is done. If I recall, Kevin's take on it (and I'm in the "if Kevin said it, it's a fact" camp) is that you can't go by appearance in determining when chicken is done. If your temperature probe is good, then you should've had cooked chicken. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I kinda think my digital probe thermometer must have been off....3 of the 4 halves read 160-162 in the breast and right up around 180 in the thigh. The other one was just shy of both but like I said, I was trying to get dinner on the table and took the not quite right one for myself. When the kids cut into theirs, both of which I thought measured fine, there was still quite a bit of pink.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
At my CBJ class, they advocated the "color of the juices" test - take a white paper towel and blot the juice from the chicken and see if it runs clear. If so, you're good. If the juice is pink, call the table captain. However, some folks on the forum have taken issue with that.

I just try to hit 170 in the thigh and 160 in the breast and then tent with foil until time to eat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I remembered the clear juices thing from watching too many cooking shows on TV so I kept an eye on the juices when I stuck the pieces with the temp probe. They appeared to be clear, which pretty much reinforced my thinking that at least 3 of the 4 were done. I just saw a show, wish I could remember which one where the host/chef the clear juices thing really isn't a good guide.

Ughh....well, I'll tell ya what....I ordered a Thermapen last night!
icon_smile.gif

Jim,
Just curious. You say there was quite a bit of pink. Where was the pink? Down near the bones or elsewhere? Also, go by temp with a therm you know is accurate. Thermapen is the right kind of therm. It will come in handy. The color of the juices is not definitive. The person you saw on tv was correct IMO At the temps you say you achieved,assuming those throughout the chicken parts, your chicken was safe to eat. As a matter of fact, I'd say those temps are what most shoot for. Note that Chris A says after an hour to check the chicken temp and if not ok, cook longer, time being only a guide

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Jim,
Just curious. You say there was quite a bit of pink. Where was the pink? Down near the bones or elsewhere? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
On the dark meat, it was pretty much throughout the meat. On the breast, it was lightly through maybe the the outer 3/4 inch of the meat. Not darker on the outside like you'd get from the smoke ring...it was pretty evenly colored.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Note that Chris A says after an hour to check the chicken temp and if not ok, cooklonger, time being only a guide </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ack! I guess I gleaned over that...

Wow...that's pretty interesting! Odd that they claim 155* in the thigh is ok...aren't thighs supposed to be close to 180*? That said, I don't think my chicken was anywhere near as red as those in pics 2 & 3. Maybe we woulda been ok...though I don't think there's any way my wife would have eaten it judging by the expression on her face. She didn't even cut into her half until after it was in the oven for a bit. She saw the ones the kids were cutting through and that was that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimMcG:
Wow...that's pretty interesting! Odd that they claim 155* in the thigh is ok...aren't thighs supposed to be close to 180*? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It isn't just the 155*, it's safe, although not very appetizing, because it was at 155* for the requisite amount of time. Hold on, I'll try to find another thread that addresses this issue among others and is very informative that Pat referred to above
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...050046285#1050046285
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...0069052/m/1970055284

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimMcG:
On the breast, it was lightly through maybe the the outer 3/4 inch of the meat.
Sounds like color from the smoke to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
maybe....I did end up using hickory and it was pretty strong taste-wise in the meat.

Originally posted by JimMcG:
Wow...that's pretty interesting! Odd that they claim 155* in the thigh is ok...aren't thighs supposed to be close to 180*? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It isn't just the 155*, it's safe, although not very appetizing, because it was at 155* for the requisite amount of time. Hold on, I'll try to find another thread that addresses this issue among others and is very informative that Pat referred to above
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...050046285#1050046285
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...0069052/m/1970055284 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for all the help Dave....

Just took a butt (almost 9lbs) out of the freezer to thaw...it's solid as a rock and I'm letting it thaw in the fridge, nice and easy, no rush....might cook it this weekend if the weather is decent. Forecast right now is showing snow/rain.

Back