Buffalo Blue Cheese Hummus

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
I was looking to replace my fav homemade hummus recipe and I found it. This Buffalo Blue Cheese Hummus is ADDICTIVE it is so good. It really reminds me of buffalo wings with blue cheese dip.

Clint this for you :D I substituted ONE of my Scorpions (incl seeds and "veins") in place of the 2 habs . Nice heat that takes 3-4 seconds to let you know it's there. I eat it the first day I make it but as usual, the flavours blend after a day or so. The heat doesn't reduce till about the 4th day. It was still great 10 days later (not that there was much left). Lorraine doesn't care for spicy stuff (and this is off the scale for her buds ;) )

Firey Blue Cheese Hummus

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons tahini paste
  • Juice from 1 lemon (2T bottled juice)
  • ¼ cup Buffalo sauce or more as desired
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese + more for garnish
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley + more for garnish
  • 2 habanero peppers, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon cumin
  • ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil + more for garnish
  • 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) – 15 ounces, drained
  • Chips or carrots and celery for serving.
  • Cooking Directions

1. Add the tahini and lemon juice to a food processor and process about 1 minute to combine.
  2. Add Buffalo sauce and garlic and process again about a minute or so.
  3. With the processor running, slowly add the blue cheese, parsley, habanero peppers and seasonings. Process for another minute or so.
  4. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while processing, until the oil is gone and it is completely incorporated.
  5. Add the chickpeas in a quarter cup at a time while still processing, but reserve a small handful for garnish. The hummus will be a bit fluffy yet thick.
  6. Garnish with extra olive oil, chickpeas, extra blue cheese and freshly chopped parsley.
  7. Serve with chips or with chopped carrots and celery.

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/dips/fiery-buffalo-blue-cheese-hummus

Last edited:
I'm all over it! I froze some of those ghost peppers.... ..also have a sliced up baguette I'll see if is worth toasting or maybe I'll get some pre-made crostinis tomorrow.....

I just moved a pepper along with a wedge of blue cheese from the freezer to the fridge just a minute ago.

This stuff is good but brutal! (still new to the Ghosts)

I followed the recipe pretty closely except I almost always use peanut butter with a small amount of sesame seeds & sesame oil in place of tahini. I used 2T evoo & 2T liquid from the chickpeas,,,,,I microwaved the chickpeas for about 50 seconds (found that rec here years ago). Probably used a little extra blue cheese but not complaining.

My normal hummus is usually just about the same (chickpeas, pb, sesame seeds & a lil sesame oil), lemon juice, and then I've been liking either 2-4 kalamata olives and a Tbsp of the Kalamata olive juice, or sometimes some sundried tomatoes....sometimes a little of both - go easy on them at first, then add more - not that it's bad if you add too much, just more isn't always better with those 2

That's the thing Clint, I always follow the recipe to the letter the first time I do it (pepper being the exception). Your subs sound ok but ....... well, you didn't follow the recipe. Seriously, do the recipe first. THEN do subs if you feel the need.

The extra blue is always nice :D in any case. BUT sometimes too much of a good thing???

I think it's kinda neat how the flavour of the blue and buffalo sauce is the first thing that you welcome into your mouth. Then the heat kinda grabs you and throws you to the floor :D

No need to buy tahini though. A cup of sesame seeds with 3-4T of olive oil all mashed up in a food proc/blender.

Keep it in the fridge for a month or so. It's not really pourable like store-bought (but no chemicals) but I find that it doesn't need to be. Use 2T of that instead of seeds and peanut butter (excuse me but yuck :( )

Last edited:
It's a common substitution, I've made hummus dozens of times but have only bought 1-2 jars of tahini in my life and it didn't leave much of an impression on me.

It's very rare for me to follow any recipe exactly. I didn't pull out measuring spoons for the cumin or salt either, but it was close enough. I think I'd have preferred the habs over the Ghost pepper too, the habs are edible, the ghost is a bit hot for me.

I cracked a can of cannelli beans by mistake - and guess what - I've made "hummus" with that before ("following" another recipe), but I put the cracked can in the fridge to save for something else and opened a can of chickpeas trying to keep it close to the original.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/peanut-buttery-hummus-no-tahini-recipe.html

been a while since I've tried tahini but it tasted very mild from my recollection. I'll grab a jar the next time I see it.

The measures I used: a 1 TBSP measuring spoon for the oil & the franks (and the chickpea juice). The lid of the cumin jar, and my palm for the salt. I eyeballed the cheese, and used a large soup spoon (common but not calibrated tablespoon) for the the peanut butter.

I too have made a mistake as to which can of beans I opened. Had a can of pinto beans (was going to make refried beans one time) that I opened by mistake. Strangely, it gave my hummus a "Mexican" taste ;) using my regular spices. I liked it just as much
as chick pea version :D

And yes, your "measurements" work just as well as the exact kind, seeing as how we usually adjust for personal preferences. The hotter the pepper, the more it detracts from the flavour me thinks. "Follow the recipe" comment was hinting at your addition of peanut butter ;) .

As far as the tahini, it does add a sublte "je ne sais quoi" to the mix. My daughter (vegetarian) can tell when I use too much, me not so much. Doing it in a processor doesn't get it as liquidy as what you get in a jar. It comes out a bit grainy (like homemade mustard). I'm cheap so I always look for "homemade" stuff to substitute for jarred. Also, no additives which is a BIG plus.

I use a stick processor/blender for that as it is such a small amount.

The habs would be a better option than the ghost but as I said, my scorpion was just perfecto :D

Last edited:

Back