Olive Wood!!!

Jane Cherry

TVWBB All-Star
I did an experiment tonight. I've had this olive wood from a neighbor's tree that was cut down years ago. I have an olive rree in my backyard, but never used the trimmings to cook with.

I cannot believe what a fabulous wood this is for taste, as well as aroma. Sweet, mild and a bit spicy. I don't know why I've waited so long to use it. Guess I was skeptical. That is over!

If any of you have olive trees in your region, use them, cut them, and guard them as your smoke wood secret. Trust me.

Here in AZ, the planting of these trees is now outlawed due to allergic conditions. They are the most beautiful, bearing fruit trees you can imagine, and now I know. the wood from them produces great taste. I can't wait to do a long smoke, because the density of this wood carries for hours!

Way to go Jane!
Nice to have a smoke wood source so handy!

Steven Raichlen sells olive wood:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028Y4FG6

Alas, not too many olive trees found here in Mid-America
icon_frown.gif

Maine Grilling Wood carries olive wood as well. Best deal looks like 45#box of chunks, shipping inc. $60/ cont US

I have a poly bag of the olive chunks, but I haven't cracked it yet ... was thinking to use it with with gyro or grilled chicken for pitas but I think I'll try it for a butt or brisket, thanks for the report Jane

...visited a friend in Reno last May and he used olive for smokin' some bbribs and they were fantastic!!
foolish me, should have asked for a little to go...
Jane, what did you cook?

It's one of 'em, and I certainly do use it. On hand, I have orange, pecan, maple, apple, cherry, mesquite, hickory and olive. I'm out of oak.

shows how new I am... never heard of OR thought of ORANGE wood...
...and a "10 minute meal" in this area is a drive-thru at Culver's or leftovers OVER the sink.
I'm quite pathetic.
icon_frown.gif

We took out an orange tree that was planted right next to the patio. It was growing underneath it, so I told my husband to cut up the wood and save it. I use for poultry - it is heavenly and is a must for the orange-brined turkey which I do on the rotisserie every year.

what do you do with the fruit from the tree? I was just reading about making your own olives and it didn't seem as difficult as I originally thought.

of course the article was written by someone in california who had access to wild, free olives. Around here that aren't too many of them.
icon_frown.gif

I have not ventured into brining my own olives. The fruit drops from the tree and we don't do anything with them. If the process is an easy one, I would love to see the article.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have not ventured into brining my own olives. The fruit drops from the tree and we don't do anything with them. If the process is an easy one, I would love to see the article. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ruhlman actually put this up today!

and here'sthe article I read last week.

My olives are not green, but black and I don't know what kind they are. They are the same as all olive trees found planted here. Guess I should do investigating.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My olives are not green, but black and I don't know what kind they are. They are the same as all olive trees found planted here. Guess I should do investigating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good luck, I'm jealous.
icon_biggrin.gif

My husband just trimmed our olive tree, and now, after being out of my favorite cooking wood, I have a ton of olive wood! I can't wait till he trims it up for me this weekend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
shows how new I am... never heard of OR thought of ORANGE wood...
...and a "10 minute meal" in this area is a drive-thru at Culver's or leftovers OVER the sink.
I'm quite pathetic.
icon_frown.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whatever, Jim. That has to be THE most ridiculous statement I've read on these boards yet. LOL

Maybe compared to GOD, were he to stand over a Weber...

No spice at all with this wood. I had a ton when my neighbor cut down his tree. Mine is in bad shape and may have to come out completely, but until then, I use some good trimmings from it. You can order this stuff online. I am thankful that I made this discovery - on my own no doubt, and it's FREE!

Back