My first tri-tip (pics)

G Dechaine

TVWBB Pro
After seeing all the Californians with their tris, I decided to get my hands on some. Found a butcher that stocks it regularly.

No crazy preparation. Just seasoned with Lesters Steak Spice. I think I made a rookie error and cut it with the grain. Not really familiar with the cut yet.

Seasoned
3951340935_c457fc911c.jpg

On the grill
3951340977_db9766f2d0.jpg

Indirect
3951340979_092934b7d2.jpg

Rested and sliced
3951340987_c578c517d8.jpg

Plated with some fresh tomatoes from our garden
3951340995_44982afe47.jpg

FYI...Caesar salad with homemade dressing.

Looks great!!

Did you buy the placemats to match the Performer, or was that just a happy coincidence?
icon_wink.gif

Did you buy the placemats to match the Performer, or was that just a happy coincidence?

Wy wife had this apple green colour theme going around the house. That actually helped me convince her to get the Performer. Style and function can co-exist in BBQ/grilling.

Here's another picture of that performer. A few guys on this board aside from me picked one up from Crate & Barrel.

I'm hoping people find this picture funny, not offensive. For the record, it was first and last time my girl was on the grill. As you can see on the work table, it was just being assembled.
3953812908_7c3107507a.jpg

G, that is a real beauty! (and your daughter is cute also...)
icon_smile.gif
No way that is offensive! It is just unbelievably cute! I love her expression!! Seriously... that is a picture I'd cherish forever!

Someone I know from this area put both of his boys on his brand new Ranch Kettle and posted pics. Classic!! Offensive? Absolutely not!! One of his kids had an apple in his mouth!
icon_biggrin.gif
Tried to find the pics but couldn't locate them.

Anyway, that's what tri-tip is supposed to look like! No 140-150º for me!!! That's shoe leather!
icon_razz.gif

3951340987_c578c517d8.jpg

Great job!!

Bill

Thanks guys. You never know with humour...a lot of people are easily offended. One of the wifey's friends thought it was in poor taste.

I really like this cut of meat. In terms of steaks you cut across the grain, it's way better than a flank. I would love to make fajitas with it. I do have to try and get some skirt steak.

I love grilling steaks on the Weber. I'm not getting great grill marks, but the crust is awesome.

get the cast iron grates for your performer. you'll get outstanding grill marks. kinda pricey but a very good product

Originally posted by Tim C:
get the cast iron grates for your performer. you'll get outstanding grill marks. kinda pricey but a very good product
Tim, do you know if cast iron grates are available for 22 kettles?

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim C:
Tim, do you know if cast iron grates are available for 22 kettles? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jim,

Larry Wolfe's 22.5" Performer has cast iron grates. The brand he uses are available for both the 22.5" and the 18.5" kettle. Here's a link to where he got his.

HTH..

Bill

Back