Sausage party 2010

G Dechaine

TVWBB Pro
Each year, we have a bunch of people over to make sausage. This year's list included a smoked spicy pork sausage, a South African beef sausage called Boerwors and maple syrup and sage breakfast sausage(meant as a take home gift).

The pics are below.

I believe this is the pork, pre-stuffing.
4943177231_6422d08237_z.jpg

Ready to make some links
4943181591_900e7daa19_z.jpg

First batch
4943176103_8045a01f37_z.jpg

the breakfast sausage (first time working with collagen casing)
4943765190_15a3a3f0bb_z.jpg

Pork sausage on the smoker along with some ABTs
4943763986_d69624a636_z.jpg

Beef sausage on the grill...
4943180585_71d6ba8633_z.jpg

Breakfast sausage vac packed for the morning after
4943768682_5c095457e0_z.jpg

I have to say that I really don't care for beef sausage. It didn't do much for me. I usually make a pork sausage and a lamb sausage. The smoked pork was awesome. That one disappeared, while the beef didn't get eaten too much, so I guess my guests agreed with my assessment.

On the other hand, the hit of the party were the ABTs. Man, they were good. First time I ever made them, definitely not the last.

Also, the breakfast sausage was darn good.

About the collagen casing. They can't be twisted into links, as I learned. Not a major deal.

Good job G. What recipe did you use for your ABT's, I have some peppers in the garden ready to be made into ABTs.

How do you like the stuffer? That looks like the same one I have from Bass Pro Shops. I enjoy mine, built really solid.

I just stuffed the jalapenos with cream cheese and wrapped with bacon. Took them off when they looked done (basically going with the bacon's appearance.

I've heard about people getting some jalapenos with no heat. These were not that kind. Amazingly hot. Just before the point where they were uncomfortable hot.

This is the stuffer I've had for over a year now. Love it. I have bad memories of using the Kitchen Aid to stuff sausage. This thing ploughs through 5lbs of meat like nothing

GD, good sausage is like candy... and those above look very sweet!
Some nice work you put into makin' "goodie porkdrops"!
icon_biggrin.gif

how was the smokey pork smoked? did you smoke the pork prior to stuffing?

For my breakfast sausage, I buy larger diameter collagen casings and freeze the giant link whole. I then peel off the casing, cut it into pucks and pack the pucks for freezing. This way makes cool little patties. Its a snap to stuff, but a tad tricky with the puck making.

sparkle gel?

Smokey pork was made fresh (garlic, chili flakes, green onion) and smoked in the WSM.

Yeah, that pic slipped through the editing process. It's not for something in my department. My wife just told me it's for cake decorating.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">sparkle gel? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, I was just going to leave that one alone...
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger: sparkle gel? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it is a sausage party, lol
icon_wink.gif

I've had sausage- gatherings sveral times. The problem is that it takes several days including drying and smoking, and not everyone understands that things need to be kept cool.

All the same, it's fun!

Oh man that looks great!

G you know im the nr 1 sausage maker on this site and im not invited?
icon_wink.gif

Well done

Back