Grilled Pork Belly Ssam

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I'm only a couple of months and a few recipes into this cookbook but I have to say I'm pretty much in love with it.

Tonight's meal started with a trip to H Mart on or way home from Boston. It was about 20 min out of our way but it was worth the trip. We scored lots of cool ingredients along with some korean cucumbers, kimchi, frozen dumpling, and slice pork belly, which would be dinner.

Before grilling, the sliced belly was briefly cured in a mixture of equal parts salt and sugar. I had to modify the belly instructions since H mart only sold it sliced.

The finished ssam lettuce wrap consisted of the belly, mustard seed sauce, quick pickled cukes, and a few grilled jalapenos.

IMG_3948.JPG

The real star was the sauce. You pickle mustard seeds and mix them with scallions, chopped quick pickles, dijon and chinese mustards, and kewpie mayo. It complimented the salty/fatty belly and made for an awesome bite of food.

Picture perfect, but what's that green stuff? Oh yeah. Vegetables. I had meant to look into this book. Thanks for the reminder!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I NEED this book </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you do
icon_wink.gif

so far, we made ramen noodles with ginger scallion sauce and brussel sprouts with bacon and kimchi sauce. The common theme is that these recipes punch you in the mouth with tons of flavor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> but what's that green stuff? Oh yeah. Vegetables. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

stay focused...dont get distracted. the lettuce is merely a vessel for pork.

Wow! Fantastic looking meal and a beautiful plate!

Add another to the "I NEED this book" list.

Back