Just bought a Go Anywhere

andrew_l

TVWBB Super Fan
Any tips on how to use it?

For example, the slides along the side obviously cover (or not) the ventilation holes. Is it best to cover the ones facing the wind and leave the others open? Or leave both lots open and regulate temps from the lid vents? Or have the long slides half closed (or fully open?) and again try to regulate from the top?

Is it best to have the coals at one end of the go anywhere so as to get two areas, one direct cooking and one indirect?

I thought about the more conventional shaped Smokey Joe, but that would take up more space on a narrow boat - the go anywhere, being a rectangle and compact, fits much better.

I plan to use it this w/e for friends - and any advice to help me succeed would be much appreciated!

Congrats
icon_smile.gif
Dutch importers Weber-Stephen no longer carry the ever popular WGA. Second hands are quickly selling out. Over here the WGA is quickly becomning a rarity. Consider yourself lucky.

It was 50% off in a garden centre - they have another 7 - I am tempted to buy ALL of them - and then eBay the others - or give them as presents !!!

Good choice of grill for the barge, I've seen lots of people using them at moorings.
I open the bottom vents fully and this keeps the temps nice and high.
I keep the top vents shut to maximise the smoke from the wood chips (although I doubt it makes much difference to the smokiness of the food really). You could open the top vents too I suppose if you feel it's not hot enough for your tastes.
When finished, close all vents and it cools down very quickly compared to any other BBQ I've ever had. Again, handy when using with your barge.
Any ideas why it's getting rarer to find in the Netherlands Mike?

We used it yesterday for the 1st time - on the side of the canal! I had forgotten the chimney starter so lit 3 lighters and put briquettes on top - it took quite a while to get going! However, the chicken and sausages were super - light smoke and very good results. It was still going strong so we also cooked some pork steaks and yet more sausages.

I was AMAZED at how quickly it cooled down when all of the vents were closed down - really quickly it was cool enough to shut and put on the roof.

It will be used often I think!!!!

they are not sold in europe cuz there were issues with the legs. just make sure that the legs are locked. i'm still looking for my first one.

The legs are certainly the weak point but the little clip does firm them up a bit.

Next time I use it I shall have a direct and indirect heat area - but I was impressed overall. I'm wondering about buying a 2cnd one to use at home - those times when I'm only cooking for two and the big kettle Weber seems too big, too much charcoal to use, just for a small amount of cooking.

Might even get rid of the big kettle and just use the smoker or the little one?

naw, i would never get rid of my 22.5 kettle. everything else would have to go first. but aren't the smaller ones fun to use ? just love my sj's.

Back