Question

JohnO

TVWBB Member
I have been thinking about reasons why I can't get my temps up to where I want them. I am thinking it is becasue I am using wood chips instead of wood chunks. The only problem is I cannot find wood chunks around me. As of right now I am using wood chips. Can anyone tell me if I am right? If so should I wrap the chips in aluminum foil to kind of resemble chunks?

What temp do you want to reach? Where is the WSM getting to?

I don't think chips instead of chunks will make a difference. One way of increasing temps is to prop the door open or place the lid on slightly askew.

Where in South Jersey are you? HD and Lowe's carry chunks.

Chips should not hamper getting your heat up. What are you using for a cooker? WSM? Water Pan hot or cold? Fuel? Lots of variables.

James

I am using a WSM. I am following the basic babyback rib recipe from this site. I am using water and I was thinking that maybe I shoudl let the cooker sit for about 25 minutes because the temp usually stays between 175 and 200 for about the first hour of the cook. Maybe I shoudl just forget about the water. I at least need it to get to 225 for cooking ribs.

John..try this: Place one chimney full of unlit <span class="ev_code_BLUE">K</span> in the charcoal bowl, top with one chimney lit <span class="ev_code_BLUE">K</span>, add 3-4 fist sized smoke wood chunks. ..next, add 1.5 gallons <span class="ev_code_RED">hot</span> tap water to the H2O pan, assemble cooker, add ribs, set lower vents to 25% open, top vent 100% open... go to a movie , mow the lawn, or disapear for 3.5 hrs!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_cool.gif
...check for doneness, cook for 15-20 mins more,if required... EAT!!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Hello John, something is not right. Are you using enough fuel? Is your fuel dry? (A bag left open can become humid) Are you leaving your bottom vents open 100% at the begining? Your smoker should rise to 200 within the first 10 to 15 mins. Top vent must be opened to 100% ALL the time. Double check the instruction to make sure you haven't missed anything.

Hello john,just a stab in the dark but is it the new WSM with the thermometer in the lid ,they tend to give a lower reading.I,d give water a miss aswell and use a clay saucer ive never looked back.

Back