Help with Temperature Probe Readings!

Darryl.O

TVWBB Member
Hey guys,

Sorry if the answer to this is common knowledge, but here goes!

I have a BUNCH of remote oven thermometer/probes (couple of polders, an oxo, one wireless, etc). I am wondering if someone can explain to me how exactly they work, how they should be inserted into the meat, and how we should process the readings they output.

I usually use one to measure the temperature at the grate (even though they normally states in the instructions that they are not designed to measure oven temperature), and another to measure the meat temperature. What I have noticed is that the oven/pit temperature sometimes significantly influences the reading I am taking inside of the meat. So when I open the lid, both the pit's temp AND the meat temperature reading drops. Is this normal for everyone? I'm guessing it is and that no one discusses this (or maybe I've missed it).

I usually have the probes fully inserted through the side of the meat (eg. shoulder) as to have less of the probe's surface area exposed to the pit's surrounding temp. I always get the same temperature drops though. Which I suppose is normal. But if that's the case, I just don't see these probes as being all that great to use. As another example, I was finishing some thick steaks in my kitchen oven the other day, and used a leave in probe inserted into the center of the steak. As soon as I put the steak into the oven the Oxo probe started escalating rapidly. I checked the steak with a standard meat thermometer and the Oxo was WAY off. It was obviously registering more of the oven's temp. Mind you, I have tested all of these probes with the boiling water method and all are fairly close.

So all in all, I'm now assuming that what I've observed is normal and that the majority of you that use probes use them just as reference? Or am I doing something wrong and they should be much more accurate?

I've always been under the impression that the tip/end of the probe is where the temperature is taken. So you'd insert the thermometer until the tip/end is located in the middle of the thickest part of the meat. The remaining probe is just for inserting and stabilitity. If the whole probe was a thermometer, it would read multiple temps since not all parts of the meat are the same temps at all times.

If your meat temp is dropping when you lift the lid for a short period, something isn't right. I keep my probes of my ET-73 in the pork butt and if I lift my lid, the temp of the meat doesn't change.

And thermometers should be pretty much dead on. Not an estimate.

Darryl,

I agree with Gregg, there must be something else going on. Either a wire is loose, a tip is exposed or something to give you fluctuating temps. Avoid contacting the probe tip with bone and metal grates so as not to give you a false reading, otherwise as Gregg points out insert the probe into the thickest part of the meat. I don't use one for the grate anymore, but many will insert a probe through a potato and lay the potato on the grate with probe tip exposed for that reading. Again the probe must not contact the grate. The other no-no with probes is to avoid the outer perimeter between the grates and the sides of the wsm. This is the area that very hot air shoots straight up around the water pan. Most probes are not rated for those high temps (if you're doing a high temp cook). I just can't see your Oxo probe, inserted into cool meat, registering a high temp as soon as you put it in the oven unless the tip was exposed. Some probes are compatible with different base units. Try swapping out probes and test ice or boiling water again. It's a long shot, but you may have multiple defective probes.

Paul

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

For the probe at grate level, I always have it through a potato and in the center away from the sides.

Certainly don't have any probe tips exposed either. When smoking, the meat temp does not drop drastically when I open the lid. Maybe 5-8 degrees? Still though, I don't think it should drop at all.

As for the Oxo, the temps are not skyrocketing to outside oven temps. However the rate at which it rises is obviously an indication that something is not right. After pan searing the steak, I will insert the probe directly through the center of the side and push it in lengthwise making sure it is not protruding anywhere. The temps may be around 85 deg or so. After placing it in the oven, I will immediately see the temp increase about a degree every 3 seconds or so. I'll check the steak with another probe when it reaches 120 (my desired temp) and it will be off a good 20+ degrees. What I have noticed is that if I leave it in there, the temp on the Oxo will eventually slow down around the 145-150 range (even though the reading is not correct).

Help!
icon_frown.gif

When you clean your probes, have you ever had the ends get wet where it attaches to the wire?
I've read that it will fry out a probe if that happens.

Tim

It looks like potential probe problems. For some reason, they seem to register 212 just fine, but other ranges seem off. Like Tim wrote, introducing water into the probe around the seal can kill it. I've had that problem on a number of occasions and now wash them very carefully. Look to see if you can find replacement probes before purchasing a new thermo.

Paul

Will do.

Thanks for that.

So I just want to be clear on this...

If I take the lid off of the smoker for a few seconds, the internal meat temperature measured by the probe should not drop one bit?

Originally posted by Darryl.O:
Will do.

Thanks for that.

So I just want to be clear on this...

If I take the lid off of the smoker for a few seconds, the internal meat temperature measured by the probe should not drop one bit?

Are we talking a degree or two in a thin piece of meat, or are we talking some big shift in a big piece of meat?

These are large meats like shoulders and briskets. I think I see drops of 5-10 degrees. As soon as the lid comes off, the temps just begin to count down

No in a big cut of meat like that you should see no drop in the meat temp. I can take off my lid for 2-3 minutes while messing with something and the temps of the meat won't move.

Something is wrong with the probe or how you have it inserted.

Do you know which part of your probes measure temp? Do you have this part in the middle of the meat?

I use the calibration test as an opportunity to figure out how much of the probe does the work. Put the probe in boiling water and slowly pull it out until the temp starts to drop. On the therms I have used this is between 1 to 3 inches. Probes with a wide measuring zone need to be carefully inserted into the meat so this zone is located in the middle if the meat.

Originally posted by Craig A:
Do you know which part of your probes measure temp? Do you have this part in the middle of the meat?

I use the calibration test as an opportunity to figure out how much of the probe does the work. Put the probe in boiling water and slowly pull it out until the temp starts to drop. On the therms I have used this is between 1 to 3 inches. Probes with a wide measuring zone need to be carefully inserted into the meat so this zone is located in the middle if the meat.

That's a good idea. I don't know which part of the probe provides the reading. I've read 1-2" in, but I suppose it'd be good to test. I actually have the entire probe inserted into the meat, but with the tip usually closest to the center of the meat. I always tried to have the entire probe inserted because I had been under the assumption that whatever was exposed would read the the temperature of the oven.

Back