the best ribs I ever cooked on the q 300...instructions+pics

Pinny

TVWBB Super Fan
1. Spray the ribs with a bit of PAM and sprinkle on some salt and pepper. I don't put other spices on yet as they tend to burn over the course of the cook. Clean your grill, spray the grates with pam, and preheat to indirect-low (250 degrees). I put some apple wood chips in a little smoker box that I bought at Target. This will only smoke if you leave it in while the grill heats up when you clean it.
01ribs05-19-09.jpg
02ribs05-19-09.jpg

2. After about 3 hours at 250 degrees, the ribs will be amazing - not falling off the bone, but easily tearable from the bone. (You could sear them if you want, but I didn't find a need - the cast iron grates heated up plenty and seared them fine during the cook. You can of course do it again now.) Put them in a pan of foil, sprinkle on your favorite bbq rub, pour on your bbq sauce, and let them sit covered for 10 minutes.

3. Enjoy!
03ribs05-19-09.jpg

Sorry for bad iphone pics!

Pinny
Well done. For better smoke try using wood shavings in a foil pouch, put them on during the preheat, they will continue to smoke afterwards. Shavings tend to work better than sawdust or chips. I use a hand wood plane to make then. A power operated plane just makes sawdust.

Regards

Phil:

That's a great idea - I can never get wood chips to smoke well - they always flame up in a few minutes or else don't smolder at all. I'll try picking up a hand plane the next time I'm at home depot. By the way, where to you get wood to plane? Do you just take wood chucks and have a go at it?

Thanks,
Pinny

Originally posted by Pinny B.:
Phil:

That's a great idea - I can never get wood chips to smoke well - they always flame up in a few minutes or else don't smolder at all. I'll try picking up a hand plane the next time I'm at home depot. By the way, where to you get wood to plane? Do you just take wood chucks and have a go at it?

Thanks,
Pinny

Don't put too many fork holes in the foil pack.
If they start to burn soak them in water first.

I get my wood locally, I use Ti Tree (Melaluca) which is slightly milder than Hickory, Apple from an orchard, peach from cuttings from my peach tree, oak from an old wine barrel, red gum from an old fence post. I don't smoke a lot so I don't need a lot, my supply is pretty good.

I have no end of tools both hand and power so producing shavings, sawdust and chunks is no problem for me.

I would drop some over to you except that the travelling time is a bit long. As the crow flies (a straight line) between us it is about 10,500 miles or 16,900 kilometers.

Regards

When I use a smoker box for wood chips on top of the cooking grate I like to start them burning manually. I find that they're not close enough to the fire to really start smoking on their own so I use a propane welder or weed burner or something to get them burning in the cast iron box.

Sometimes I'll also include a lit charcoal briquette or two to keep them burning.

Bill

Back