booboo on my q

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
i laid the hot lid of my q against a painted surface and now got some paint on the lid. before i mess something up, got any ideas on how to get it off ? the lid is red and i really don't want to mess it up. thanks,

does anyone know for sure what the finish is on the q's ? when i tried some polish, some of the red came off on the rag. this tells me its not porcelin but a paint. the weber site doesn't say.

The finish is powder coating.
I suggest that you try to remove it with WD40 penetrating oil. It should be available from hardware stores or an industrial supplier. Try it on a small out of sight area first. It may work it will depend on the paint and how hot it was when it melted on.

Cheers

in looking around i found some light stains on another section of my lid. i would warn at this point to not touvh the lid with anything when hot. i tried 0000 steel wool and that did nothing.

If the paint was latex, I would try "Ooops", found at hardware stores. I would try a spot on the grill first, to make sure it won't take the grill paint off (which it shouldn't.)

If the paint is oil based, well, you will have to get used to it.

If the paint is oil based, try applying some mineral terpentine "turps" which might melt it off or maybe some kerosene.
If all else fails, you may have to hand sand it or possibly grind it with a light grinding wheel and repaint it with as close as you can get high heat paint.
Last suggestion is to make sure the lid is turned around away from your guests so they won't ask stupid questions
icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers

Davo

Back