The Smoking Gun handheld food smoker

John Wallace

TVWBB Member
This $80 device infuses smoke into just about anything in 30 seconds. I'm doing a series on cold smoking, and this is Part I.

It's not a bad device for certain items. We tested tomatoes, almonds, oysters, cheese, and some fresh crab. It worked very well on all but the almonds; they need more time as we discovered with other tests.

PolyScience, the manufacturer, built this initially for commercial applications but has found a consumer crossover market. I think it's fully appropriate for smoke flavoring the above items plus salads, even some cocktails.

I did a short demonstration video where I almost ended up with an unplanned bag of catsup, but all come out well once I figured out how to use it properly.

It's a well built unit. The only gripes I have are that inserting the batteries is a PITA and the included stand broke when I dropped it on a tile floor. Superglue fixed that.

It's very compact and easy to use, and worth a look, though not as a substitute for a dedicated smoker. More details, demonstrations and tests here if interested.

If nothing else, it's a great Christmas gift for us smoker and Q agglomerators and definitely has some occasional utility.

nice work.

I think this product has been on and off the market due to some technical problems. It looks like they worked things out if they're back to selling them.

I read a really cool article on the owner of poly science. Its neat how they've branched out into cooking tools.

Yes, they had some problems with the fan initially. I too enjoyed learning about them. This division is in Chicago, and they seem decentralized with technical types as product managers.

Their marketing is spotty as they don't have any consumer product depth or established channels. I think this device has a myriad of uses for small restaurants as well as home chefs. The design invites you to play with it, and I'm pretty enthusiastic about pushing it to see what it can do. Thanks for the comment.

did you catch the article where the guy who runs this culinary division of poly science believes the next new wave of kitchen tech will be temp controlled water baths incorporated into your sink?

I want one.

Back