22" - Maintaining lower temps difficult in summer heat?

Shelly

TVWBB Member
I've done a couple of smokes lately on the 22" when the outside temp has been in the high 80's low 90's.

Once it gets up to speed, I've found that I can maintain 236-250 temp (using a Nu Temp as well as the built in thermometer), but only with the lower vents virtually fully closed (I may crack one just a bit). That's with a fully loaded water pan.

This is fine for basic smoking, but I've been doing bacons, where I want the internal temp no higher than 150. With chamber temps at 250, I don't get as long a smoke as I'd prefer (1 hour before the bacon shoots past 150). Still tastes great, and I compensate with more wood.

I'd really like to be able to hold a temp of 200. Anyone else finding this? What's the solution -- less charcoal to start with?

I can't relate to the 22" as I have a 2007 model. I do smoke Canadian bacon fairly often, although not when it is hot, and I use Chris' buckboard bacon method here except I don't use water and I start with about 10-12 lit. When I get to 150 I close 2 vents and leave one open a tad and watch the temp. It usually stays between about 180 - 200. Results have been good.

I don't have a 22 either but I've done jerky in the 18 a few times. I took a metal coffee can and used a Dremmel tool to cut it in half (making a ring the same height as the WSM charcoal ring). I filled it with unlit and put 2 lit coals and some smoke wood on top to make a really small minion method. Ran ~150* for 5+ hours with some vent adjustments. It was in the early Spring though and the outside temps were in the 50's if I remember correctly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shelly:
What's the solution -- less charcoal to start with? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Shelly, yes less charcoal. Stack up some briquettes in a circle, stacking like dominos, about 35-40. Put your smoke wood ontop of the charcoal briqs ring, and just put 2-3 lit briqs on top, in the center of that. Sounds like you might have an out of round condition with your 22" WSM as it seems to run hot on you.
Here's a pic of how I set up my charcoal for smoking bacon. HTH

MapleBacon003.jpg

Thanks, Bryan. Good picture, too.

As for out of round, I was suspicious of that, but there are no noticeable gaps, and smoke does not pour out of the joints. Just some wisps of smoke (less than seeps out of the door opening when I've nudged it as airtight as I can).

Would it make sense to place some gasket sealant inside the grooves that the center ring and lid set into? Like the o-ring on the space shuttle, but more competently applied.

when i use my 22 for cold smoking such as making jerky i will only use 2-4 briqs an woodchips for smoke. i soak the chips and put em in a foil ball and set them right on the lit briqs. i use a full pan of cold water as well.

i add new briqs and chips every 1-1.5 hours. its a lot more tedious with a WSM than using a offset style or an actual smokehouse. its doable but its a lot of tending.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shelly:
Thanks, Bryan. Good picture, too.

As for out of round, I was suspicious of that, but there are no noticeable gaps, and smoke does not pour out of the joints. Just some wisps of smoke (less than seeps out of the door opening when I've nudged it as airtight as I can).

Would it make sense to place some gasket sealant inside the grooves that the center ring and lid set into? Like the o-ring on the space shuttle, but more competently applied. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

most gasket sealers emit toxic gas when heated to bbq levels. read the MSDS of the sealer in question, even most "food grade" sealers will do that. a better way for sealing is to just use aluminum foil. if you want to beuild up a grease layer faster get some lard made from animal fat not vegtable and grease the edges and inner areas of your wsm. that will speed up the sealing/curing proccess.

The space shuttle analogy is priceless! After reading some of the posts about air leaks, I wondered if one were to install some of that BGE felt gasket material around both joints, and maybe around the door too, if that would seal the WSM up tight.

It would be best to apply the felt to a brand new unit out of the box, before any gunk got on the clean surface.

Also, I would think the smoke and juices would be attracted to the felt and seal out even faster.

Just a thought...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As for out of round, I was suspicious of that, but there are no noticeable gaps, and smoke does not pour out of the joints. Just some wisps of smoke </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Shelly, sounds like your good with the fitment of the bowl to mid section. I would start with less lit, and start closing down the bowl vents earlier than what you are doing now. It's always easier to catch the temps on the way up, than trying to bring them back down. HTH

Back