Pizza Homerun

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
In the fine tradition of the Baconator, I give you the...Pizzanator*.
IMG_3989.JPG

Last summer, I tried a few configurations to get pizzas right and didn't have much luck. Bryan had some good advice for me, and I gleaned a few things from checking out the videos posted by that guy that made the "little black egg." The big break came when, late last fall I scored a super cheap pizza stone. I've been biding my time all winter waiting to pounce at this chance.

The problem in the past has been that the bottom is black before the top is brown. This set up allows both sides to cook approximately the same, and man, does it work fast, five minutes once it got ripping.

Its a little tricky getting the pie down with the bricks and top stone so tight.
IMG_3990.JPG

I think if I cut my peel to size things might go a bit easier. You may see some wrinkling in the last shot from the awkwardness of the delivery.

The second big break came when I received a tip that my favorite Italian grocery had 00 flour pizza dough. This stuff was frozen, but was a dream to stretch out and get super thin. And the cool part is that next to the frozen dough, are containers of imported buffalo mozzarella which made the perfect topping.

This was honestly pizza perfection. I mean, come on! This was what my kitchen table looked like the moment I put the best of lot on it:
IMG_3991.JPG

we hadn't seen sun all day, and it was pretty much gone a minute after I took this photo. It was as if everything was right with the universe for mere moment.

the buffalo mozzarella didn't go very far so we had to get creative with the last piece of dough. This one was topped with a bit of garlic confit and parmesan. By then things had heated up to the point where this became cracker like in less than five minutes. We were stuff but it made for a nice dessert.
IMG_3994.JPG

*weak...I know.

J:
Score, and double score! Nice job thinking out of the box. Love how bubbly the crust looks!
Hats off!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Nice job thinking out of the box. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stand on the shoulders of giants
icon_wink.gif

Bryan told me to raise my stone closer to the lid, I brought the lid closer to the stone. I never would have figured it out on my own.

Mmmm. I can smell the pepperoni from here. Love it. I've got a long list of things to grill/smoke, and pizza's right there toward the top. Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've got a long list of things to grill/smoke, and pizza's right there toward the top. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you don't have the stones or fire bricks, the next best way to do it is to:

oil the dough well on both sides
drop it on the grate over direct heat for a few seconds
flip it over to indirect heat
top with sauce and cheese
cover the grill and wait until dough is cooked through and cheese is melted

Its a pretty good method, and I regretted abandoning it for the pizza stone. If this set up hadn't worked, I would have given up and went back to that method.

Just watched a recorded episode of Food Tech.
It was about pizza, and the host toured a brick pizza oven factory.
They mentioned how important the top bricks are, and it started me to thinking about a way to somewhat get this effect.
Now I know, thanks for sharing J!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They mentioned how important the top bricks are, and it started me to thinking about a way to somewhat get this effect.
Now I know, thanks for sharing J! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

somebody has it where the stone is held onto the lid by a couple of screws. I should probably look into getting another lid so I can play around with it like that. This set up was a pain to work with but seeing the top bubbling when I lifted the stone was worth it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Love the "freeform" shape Big Grin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rolling out dough usually turns my wife and me into sailors (if you know what I mean)
icon_wink.gif

Back