Grilling burgers on my 22" WSM, How much coal?

Douglas

**** from Rainy Seattle. I have to work today so no time to smoke so I thought I would do some burgers using the WSM as a grill. The problem is I have no idea how much charcoal I should use. I am having friends over so I will be grilling about 20 burgers. Thanks in =advance for your help and Happy Labor Day.

I would think about 50 briqs would do it. Rainy here too in Everett! Smoking some salmon right now...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Abad:
I would think about 50 briqs would do it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
50 briqs is only 1/2 a Weber chimney of briqs, as a full Weber chimney holds 100 briqs or about 6 lbs.
icon_wink.gif
I think he will need more than that for the 22". When I grill on my 18" WSM, I use about a 1/3 full ring of lump. I grill on the lower grate, no water pan in. I leave the lid hang off by about a 1/4" to get the temp up, and to get the grate good and hot. It's about a 15-20 min preheat. HTH

I stand corrected. That is why I have several Kettles to do the grilling chores. OR place the cooking grate directly on the charcoal ring.

I did all of my smoking on Thursday for a work lunch, two pork butts and a brisket, turned out fantastic.

Spent today making my first ever batch of homebrew.

Back