Charcoal Baskets

Millsy

TVWBB Fan
Can someone tell me the dementions of the weber charcoal baskets?I am going to make my own out of scrape rebar and expanded metal.I was also thinking about just making a adjustable fence that hooks in the charcoal grate.Any ideas ?

Yes thats what I was thinking.I can beleave no one knows the the lenght and width of the Weber charcoal basket

Originally posted by timothy:
Scroll down to details

Tim
Thank You Tim.I never scrolled down to see if the dementions were there.My truck is off to the welder tommorow and he will be making two baskets first.

I have a ss top performer and the baskets are like the ones on Ebay. In my opinion they are too tall. They reach from the charcoal grate to the very bottom of the cooking grate (actually touch the cooking grate. I think that is too tall.

I just measured the charcoal grate in my 22 1/2 kettle and with the 2 baskets there is not alot of room between them.I hope there is enough room for a inderect turkey cooking in the middle.

I think if I were having them made I would like them to be at least 2 inches longer and 1 inch narrower so they would give more room between for indirect cooking
what do you think?

i would suggest measuring what you want in the kettle and go from there. i really don't use mine. i just use fire bricks and some expanded metal.

I think that the charcoal baskets look good on the drawing board but in reality they are more bother than they are worth, I cut two pieces of 1" angle 14" long on the flat side I welded 2 1/2"bolts 1 1/2' long and on the inside I added a piece of expanded metal 4" tall X14" long. I can put one one each side of the grate any where I want or I can use one like a fence to bank the fire anywhere from the center to 6 " from the outside

Craig,that sounds like a good idea.I have the rebar bent round like the charcoal grate and was thinking the basket would not bank against the bowl and would be wasteing area.If you use a fence you could get more fuel in.

This isn't the best pic but is the bet one i could find to give you an idea.
Pictures012.jpg

Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
FWIW, I have both the baskets and the weber 7402 rails, ... really dig the rails, can pass on the baskets
icon_smile.gif

Ron, you need to try the fire bricks method.....you may have a new favorite!

I used 2 fire bricks tonight for a offset inderict rib cook.I just filled up the rest of the space with K.I just banked it against the bowl and the bricks it worked like a champ.I dont think you could get that many coals in a basket.Thanks for your input guy's,the knowledge pool here is pricless.

with the bricks i also have a expanded piece of metal that goes across and up to the grate so i can put a lot of coals on the side.

I never have bothered with the baskets or rails. I just bank the coals on one side of my grill and place the meat on the other with the top vent above the meat. If necessary during cooking I will rotate the meat 180* to equalize the distribution. Every thing I've cooked so far like this has come out good.

Back