Resting Steaks

Trevor

Hi All,

I use my grill (Q300) probably 2 to 3 times a week for steaks, roasts ect. Recently on some cooking shows I have heard them say to seal the steak, take it off and rest for 15 mins, then back on and cook it to how you like, then a small rest at the end...Does anyone do this method?

I think if you look around this board and the good food sites, you'll see that the "sealing" the steak, or "searing to seal in the juices" gospel that you hear bantered about from time to time is bogus.

The initial sear carmelizes the sugars on the exterior of the steak, but doesn't seal in anything. The rest at the end is helpful to allow the juices in the meat to redistribute evenly throughout the meat. I have noticed that when I allow my steaks to rest at the end of the cook, I have significantly less "jus" in my serving plate.

Many of us use the reverse sear method where we cook the steak indirect at a lower temperature until the internal temp reaches around 110 degrees THEN sit the steak off the grill (resting?) while we bring the heat on our grill up to a searing temperature THEN sear the steak at the end of the cook, followed by the 5 minute rest.

Let me know, if you can, where you've seen the technique you described. I'd like to check out the sites!

Thanks,

Pat

I have seen it on a few cooking shows on foxtel and fairly sure read it in a cook book.. I will try and find where I have seen it and let you know. I found it strange myself as its not how I cook steaks, but just wondered if there was some new flandangled way of doing them..

Back