A new arrival including her maiden voyage...*PICS*

Gregg M.

TVWBB Member
To start I want to appologize for such a long post. But I wanted to share my first time with you all w/o leaving out any details.

Came home on friday to this (18" WSM):

smoke1.jpg

So that night I put her together:

smoke2.jpg

While I was at it I decided to install my first mod. Guru eyelet:

smoke3.jpg

So today I decided to do my first smoke. I was coming from a Char-Griller horizontal and was excited to see what all the fuss was about. Boy was I surprised at how much of a 'set and forget' type of cooker the WSM is. But I think the biggest plus of the WSM is the community here and all the info I was able to read in the past few months before getting it. I felt pretty prepared and did it pay off nicely.

So here was the victims coated in a rub recipe I found online:

smoke4.jpg

And away we go:

smoke5.jpg

Weather: 34 degrees. Slight wind. I had it set up under my deck, close to the house, and surrounded by one of those 4 panel fence things you can move around. Similar to this, but more solid so it made for a good wind shield. Stood the same height as the WSM.

5684167w

I started with about a chimney and a half unlit Kingsford blue with 4 chunks of hickory mixed in. I then topped it with just less then a half of lit. I then added just over a gallon of boiling water to the bowl and threw the ribs on. All vents 100% open It climbed to 200 pretty quick and that's where I closed the bottom vents to about 33%. It then just settled in around 228. And just sat there. How awesome. I was amazed that it wasn't moving.

After a few hours I decided to add a little more boiling water. So I opened the door and dumped some in using a 20oz water bottle. I was surprised to see some of the wood was barely burnt and there was plenty of fuel. I was so used to the wood burning right up in the horizontal. Opening the door for that long period did cause a spike in temps. It jumped to about 275. So I closed off the bottom vents and when it dropped close to 250, I opened them up to 33% again and it settled in around 240 and sat.

Right around 4.5 hours the ribs were done. I was thrilled to see the temp was holding and there was still fuel burning.

One thing I did notice was the built-in thermometer would not go above what it reads below. I was using a maverick ET-73 at the grill level and when it was reading close to 250, the weber just stayed here. Even when I saw a fluxuation from 230-250 it just sat there. My guess is something is wrong with the weber's thermometer so i'll have to contact them tomorrow for a replacement. Even though I will most likely use the ET-73 during all cooks.

smoke6.jpg

And the outcome:

smoke7.jpg

smoke8.jpg

In conclusion I am very happy with my new WSM. It truly is a set and forget cooker. I can't believe how easy it was to maintain temps even in such a cold time of year.

Big thanks to all of you that keep feeding this forum with info, recipes, and tips. It made my first time so easy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wanted to share my first time with you all w/o leaving out any details. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wasn't sure what you we're gonna share with us....
icon_biggrin.gif
LOL JUST KIDDING! Hey Gregg nice cook and great lookin ribs!! Excellent pix...we love pix
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Just a walk in the park, eh, Gregg
icon_smile.gif

Hey Gregg, Congrats on your first cook. Thats a very stylish wind break you have around your smoker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Quon:
Hey Gregg, Congrats on your first cook. Thats a very stylish wind break you have around your smoker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it was a good way to keep a lot of the wind out. My GF on the other hand, she wasn't thrilled I was using it. She prefers it stays around the A/C unit. Oh well.

Back