Orange Ginger Asian style chicken

Lisa B

I came up with an asian type concoction that is out of this world on chicken. Would likely work well with pork too.

I'm one of those people that rarely measures. I just eyeball amounts, so the amounts are approximations. Adjust to your own tastes as needed.

Since it's usually just me and my bf, I only make a small amount, so it's about enough for 3 or 4 thighs.

1/2 - 3/4 cup orange juice
1 - 2 Tbsp fresh grated ginger ( I like a strong ginger flavor, so go lighter if you don't like it as strong)
1/8 - 1/4 cup soy sauce
garlic and onion powder to taste
1 - 2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 - 2 Tbsp chili oil or substitute with ground cayenne if needed
1/4 tsp cinnamon and Chinese 5 spice powder

Whisk all ingredients together, then put you chicken in a large freezer bag and pour the marinade over the chicken. Marinate for at least 2 hours. I usually marinate over night.

While your chicken is on the grill, pour the leftover marinade into a small sauce pot and simmer it until it becomes thick like a bbq sauce. This will kill the bacteria and intensify the flavors. Then just use the reduced marinade to baste the chicken with. My bf absolutely LOVES this recipe.
icon_smile.gif

Lisa,

Your recipe looks very tasty! Citrus, ginger and sesame oil; some of my favorite flavors.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Paul

can't say that it wouldn't be great on ribs either.

I think I have a recipe for 5 spice around here somewhere (most likely associated with my chinatown rib recipe), its worth making your own, if you don't all ready.

Let me know if your interested and need help finding it.

I think it would work well with ribs too! Haven't tried it yet.

I just use the store bought Chinese 5 spice. Not really sure what all is in there. I know it has cloves, Cinnamon, and I 'think' nutmeg. Not sure what else. I'd be interested in making my own blend though, if you have a recipe to share
icon_smile.gif

Lisa,

I did a 'version' of your recipe this past weekend. Didn't have any 5 star spice... but ended up marinating chicken thighs for about 6 hours. When the chicken was just about ready, I finished it off with a reduced version of the marinade that you recommended. It came out real nice.

Paul

Paul, glad it came out nice for you!
icon_cool.gif

J, thanks for the recipe. Didn't realize there were that many different spices in it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">J, thanks for the recipe. Didn't realize there were that many different spices in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

5 spice refers to the five element (fire, water, air, er...pork...I can't remember) that are represented in the spice blend, not the actual number of spices. there's a couple of spices that are common to all 5 spice blends and the rest is up to the person making the blend. I think the fennel and the cardamom were listed as optional. I have both in my pantry, and I rarely use them, so rather than let them get old I used them here.

Thanks Lisa, this will get a tryout next time I cook up some thighs. Sounds good for pork too!

BTW - nice looking dog!

Ray, I hope you enjoy it! Let me know how it turns out.

Yeah, he's my little boy and constant companion, Baxter.

Tried this recipe last week and it was really super! Too hot for my wimpy family but they still loved it, too! I'll tone it down a little for them but keep maybe even heat it up a little next time for select friends! Thanks!

Back