Q 200 vs. 26 adults and 3 children

Jim Goddard

After warming up with several weeks of family use, my Q200 had it's first official mission as grill for the first of my group's weekend scuba diving trips. (it's main intended purpose).

Over a 2-hour period, I manned the grill non-stop for a total of 40 hamburgers, 20 brats, 6 veggie burgers and a dozen or so ears of corn.

26 adults and 3 kids raised the white flag after the 2 hours and I still had some uncooked burgers/brats/corm to bring home for this week
icon_wink.gif

Success!

I was worried at first whether or not I'd be able to cook through food fast enough for such a large group, but now I'm sure there'll be no problems (with simple, quick-cooking foods anyway).

As I gain more experience/confidence, I may try breakfasts/lunches and different dinners as well.

Let the grilling begin!

(any suggestions on easy/delicious food for large groups most welcome)

Wow James,...you sure got some good cooking with your Q200, as long as everyone's tummy was satisfied, I guess you can't ask for anymore than that.
Have you tried some favourite japanese grilling foods such as O-kinomiyaki, which is like a japanese pancake with sauce mayonaise & dried bonito flakes, would cook well with a griddle of a teflon grillsheet.
Also there is Takuyaki which is octopus balls, usually deep fried but i've had grilled ones too.
Also a great Japanese snack is Gyoza, which is a pan fried dumpling but can be done on a griddle that is well oiled.
If you go down to a supermarket where you are and buy some of those Pilchard fish(large sardines) or Garfish or those yellowtail fish, they are very oily fish and are loaded with the good stuff, omega 3's & 6 fatty acids and very delicious frilled on an oily grill grate.
Yakisoba noodles are also great on the griddle.
Theres lots of foods that are native in Japan that can be grilled or griddled.

Cheers

Davo

James

Congradulations, excellent planning and execution on a diverse cook for 29 people. What a great demonstration of the humble little Q200's capability. I would love a picture of your next big cook with all the people standing around the Q.

My favourite dish for finger food on the Q is Honey and Sy chicken wingettes. These are just the jointed pieces from the wing without the wingtip piece. The wings that I buy work out at 12 to the Kilo so I get 24 wingettes to the kilo and can fit 30 pices on a roasting trivet.
If I am doin a lot I use two trivets and sit the second over the first one on four small cans which lifts it 3 - 4 inches above the bottom one they take about 20 - 25 minutes to cook indirect on high, I cook up a few batches and hold them in a cooler until I am ready to serve.

A point to remember if you are cooking a full grill of food the cooking time will need to be increased. I strongly recommend that you get the food up to room temperature before cooking to reduce the heat sink effect.

if you need a recipe for Honey and Soy Chicken Wings let me know.

Cheers

Hi Davo
Thanks for the reply. Yup, I've tried most of those with my family. We get some great Yakiniku meat here. It cooks up so fast and has none of the guesswork that thicker steaks involve. Some great sauces for that as well.

Tonight, we're going to try Okonomiaki. This time, I'll aim to really preheat that griddle...

Phil...I really slacked on the pictures this time. I wanted to, but was so busy, the idea was swept from my mind.

Would love to have the recipe...my wife loves stuff like that...

Jim
DiscoveryDiversTokyo@gmail.com

Jim,

Heres another one to try, If your wife is Japanese, then she should know what to do and how to mix the sauce.

I hope i can spell it properly, Gyu-no-tataki
Basically the method is very thin stips of beef grilled on a hotplate griddle for mere seconds on each side and then placed on a bed of ice.
Once cooled, it is mixed with some sauce in a small bowl then eaten...this would probably be the closest I have/will come to eat raw beef.
Very delicious.

Another of my Japanese favourites would have to be UnagiGrilled freshwater eel
Yummmmmmy!!

If you ever give this a go, and you have guests, get a oar paddle from somewhere and try it Robatayaki style (served on paddle)

Jeez, I miss the real Japanese foods in Japan!!

Not that I ever lived in Japan, only been there 3 times for vacation with wife to stay with her folks but man..did I eat big time!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Those Japanese bread shops are dangerous to the waistline...LOL

Cheers

Davo

Hi Davo...I've had all those (been here 14 years) but not on the grill yet...let me know the next time you are coming around. We live not far from Tokyo.

Jim
G;day mate.
I just remembered, the Chicken wings with Honey and Soy recipe is in the Poultry Recipe section. Here is a link to it Honey and Soy Chicken Wings

I have also done it with thin strips of pork cooked directly on a medium low heat. I only baste the top of the pork with honey about 2 minutes before the end of the cook I turn the pork every 2 minutes and cook for about 10 minutes.

Regards

Back