Tri Tip cook

John Solak

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Added some Worcestershire sauce and Santa Maria seasoning and cooked at 300* with a chunk of red oak. My piece of crap Maverick ET-73 was reading 83* then the receiver blanked out. I went to check the local reading and the temp was at 137*. Pulled the tri tip ramped the grill temp up and still did a reverse sear even tough the tri tip was done more than I wanted.

On the grill
P1000695.jpg

Resting
P1000696.jpg

Sliced
P1000698.jpg

P1000699.jpg

Looks great! I've got just enough left over from my tri tips for lunch tomorrow. After seeing your great pics, I can't wait for that sliced tri tip sandwich!

Again, great pics!

Pat

I've been away from my grills (in storage) for less than two weeks and I'm already going nuts. the "looking at other people's pictures" therapy approach isn't working.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">G Dechaine:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two words: Smokey Joe.

unless you are really sensative i don't think you will know the differance of differant oaks. red oak is just what is around the area of santa maria. black oak, coastal oak and valley oak are just fine. i have black oak and valley oak and they are just fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Handloser:
Now, how do I get red oak in VA? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
John, I get all my wood (other than hickory and mesquite) from Main Grilling Woods. I've been very happy with them. Shipping is free and if you buy 3 bags it's about $10/bag. Their oak is "arcadian oak" but like George said, I don't think you will tell the difference between that and red oak...I know I probably wouldn't.

Hey John - just an FYI. Goya brand offers pink beans (pinquitos) in 1lb plastic bags as well as cans.

I have used both. The bags work out nice, you just have to check the local chains to see if they stock it. The cans are fine, but you have to modify recipes when you use them, since they are already cooked.

With 6 lbs you should be set though. I've done the same thing (bought them on line). But before that I was using the Goya products with good success for traditional Santa Maria style pink beans for the tri tip sides.

Back