Finally going to try bacon, couple of questions

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
The last pork belly I bought went bad when the gardener blew my garage fuse and power was out to my garage fridge for 2 days (smelled like someone died in my garage) and they're on sale again for $1.99 a lb. so I'm going to pick another one up this weekend. So here's my question(s):

1) I thought I read somewhere that the pink salt was not required. If not, how much additional (if any) kosher salt would I use?
2) Has anyone been able to find Maple sugar locally? If so what kind of store did you find it in, Whole Foods, Trader Joes etc.

Looking forward to doing this finally.

Kosher is definitely not an even exchange for pink salt. If you don't want to use pink salt and are using a recipe that contains it sub an equal amount of table salt.

Pink salt is not required. (I usually use it but sometimes don't.) If you are used to typically cured bacon (which contains it) you might prefer using it over not. It's cheap and one doesn't use much. If you choose not to use I would recommend getting fine sea salt over regular table salt. It has a better shot at containing trace nitrates which will give the color and flavor we most associate with bacon (other than the smoke).

Sorry, I should have re-read the article before posting, Kevin. I know kosher isn't an even exchange for regular salt either. My mistake!

No problem. I didn't read it at all. I was just responding to the author's claim. (I'm guessing by your post that he said table and not kosher?)

Larry-- Meant to say I've gotten maple sugar at TJ's and WF. Not all TJ's have had it (and they change their items all the time, adding and deleting) so not sure. WF usually has it with the specialty sugars.

Thanks for the tips. I can order the pink salt but prefer not to wait for it to arrive. Headed to whole foods tomorrow for maple sugar. Thanks again.

Well can't find Maple sugar locally so it looks like I'm ordering so I'll order some pink salt too. Anyone have any recommendations on where to find this stuff at reasonable prices/shipping?

Get maple sugar at Amazon. Combine with something else or buy two to get free shipping. Amazon has pink salt but it isn't sold by them and so there's shipping. It is also twice the price of Butcher-Packer ( here) where I prefer to get it. While you're there you could add some dextrose to your order. It's cheap, sweet but not as sweet as sucrose (table sugar) and it dissolves better in brines, dry cures, sausage mixes (you will be making your own sausage anyway, right?); I like their sausage casing too (and they will last till your ready to use them, even if it is a while).

Personally, I'm not a fan of the maple recipe in Charcuterie. I thought it was far to sweet.

Since I'm relatively new to this game too, what I've been doing it working with simple cures and getting my process down, and slowly building the flavors in my recipes.

Right now, I'm working with a simple salt/sugar/cure #1 brine. It doesn't get any easier than that and the results are excellent.

good luck, I look forward to seeing a slab on the kamado.

Well just consider yourselves lucky you can procure pink salt at all. Up here in good ol' Canada it's easier to find prescription pain killers than someone who will sell curing salts. Apparently they are a pseudo controlled substance so I have to go through a butcher (or other business) to get them.

Luckily I know a BBQ joint that will sell me some but it's a couple hrs drive. My voyage into bacon should begin later this month. We'll see if I can ever work on my wife enough to let me start making sausage... that may be a harder sell than bacon.

On the plus side to living in Canada.... maple sugar is a heck of a lot easier to find!! haha Still expensive but I'm willing to give it a shot once.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
Personally, I'm not a fan of the maple recipe in Charcuterie. I thought it was far to sweet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
J, are you saying it's too sweet with the sugar or the maple syrup? Would you recommend leaving one of the two out?

It was a long time ago and my first attempt. All I remember was it was too salty and too sweet. It burned really easily in the pan.

I've had good luck with the brine. I know it's a compromise, but I've yet to have an overcured piece.

I agree with j. The maple sugar makes the bacon a little too sweet for me. I just made a half slab (5 lbs) this week and used 1/4 cup of maple syrup only and the sweetness was just about right.

I made the switch from TQ to pink salt a few batches ago, and I find that I need to break the soaking the bacon habit. The amount of salt in the TQ made it necessary to soak bacon (post cure) for at least an hour to get enough salt out of it to make it edible. I soaked it for 30 min this time (after using pink salt as described in the book) and the bacon doesn't have enough salt. Next time a thorough rinsing is all it's gonna get. I made pancetta with the other half slab and only rinsed it. It is drying now.

As Kevin notes upthread (and in many other posts) butcher-packer has great prices on pink salt, dextrose, and casings. I made one order of PS 1 & 2 and dextrose and have what seems like a lifetime supply and it probably cost me about $20 with shipping.

Have fun.

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">pink salt, but I did get curing salt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They are usually the same thing. What did you get?

Good to hear...no there isn't a Highland Farms anywhere near here, but I do travel a fair bit with work.

The fine owner of Buster Rhino's in Whitby is going to hook me up. I try to eat there every time I'm out that way. Probably the best BBQ sandwiches I've had... I'll even give them the nod on my own.

Grrrr, SO went to pick-up Pork Bellies today, last day on add and they were out and wouldn't issue a rain check. What pisses me off is I called them this morning to confirm they had some, guy told me they had "plenty." I asked him if he would put two 5 lbers away for me and he told me no need, they have plenty. Nice.

I called my meat market (another market) and they said they can get me some but I've got to buy roughly a 30 lb case. Anyone in central CA want to split a case of pork bellies? We can probably get it for around $2.25 a lb.

ScooterB, try Malabar Spices in Burlington. They have everything and are open to the public Thurs/Fri. You need to call ahead and place your order. (no connection, just a customer.

Back