Ribs success!

Shaun R

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I did my first pork spares on the 22 and they came out great. I find that the temperature is much easier to control on the 22 than on my old 18. I am really not sure why? In fact it was as easy to control as my ceramic egg. The WSM is really a great smoker and the tips here were a big help. Thanks

Glad they turned out great. Couple of questions.

1. How did you light the 22?
2. did you adjust the vents or set them and forget?

Hi Paul, I used a torch to light. For years I have used lump only. Recently a new grocery store opened up the road and advertised a free blue bag of Kingsford for every 25 bucks spent. I had got two and decided to try Kingsford again. I liked the results and have decided to start using it again. However I do still use lump. That having been said I fill up the ring to the top and light the middle mainly and little on the edges. When it has ashed over after about fifteen minutes with all vents open I close two and keep one wide open. I put the food on then open the door and add smoke wood. I leave the top vent barely open to hold the smoke until it's gone. This gives the meat a good smoke penetration. Then I open the top wide and adjust the bottom vents to my desired temperature. I can usually hit it right on. I check the temps every now and then and adjust as needed. Sometimes the wind picks up and I will close them a little more to keep too much air from entering. My method keeps the temps from climbing too high and letting the temps get away or out of control. I hope this helps. Today as I write this I am cooking chicken thighs at around 250ish as they near completion I will open the bottom vents a little more or as much as they need to be to acheive 300-325 maybe even 350 for just a little while to crisp them up and kill any impurities. This is basically how I do it on my egg. I like the extra room on the WSM though. And I am very pleased with the performance. Thanks for the reply.

Hi Paul I haven't heard back from you. I hope the information that I shared was a help to you.

Back